Help with No Signal display on TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by spiejak, Jan 17, 2012.

1. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    I have a Tivo HD XL. I recently hooked up a new turntable to a receiver in the same cabinet. After this, the display through that HDMI slot reads NO SIGNAL.
    I switched out the HDMI cables/slots/other cables and no dice. The PS3 still works in any of the HDMI tv slots and with either cable.
    Now here's the thing that gets me. If I have it hooked up and unplug the unit from the back and plug it back in - I get the powering up Tivo screen which lasts for about 30 seconds. Then it goes back to the NO SIGNAL screen on the tv.
    Now if I had screwed up the HDMI slot in the back of the Tivo, it wouldn't show me the powering up screen correct?
    Has anybody seen this or have any advice?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Maybe you bumped the Format button on the front of your TiVo when you were messing around in the cabinet? Try pressing it a few times and it should cycle through the different output formats (480p, 720p, etc.).

3. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    tried the format button. No luck. Not sure what it should be set on.
    The Tivo is recording and I can access it from the other tivo in the bedroom.

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Can you hook up a component cable instead temporarily? That would at least determine if it's a problem with the HDMI port on the TiVo.

5. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Yep, I get picture through the component cable. No sound through the tuner/external speakers though.
    So, what does this mean? HDMI slot is bad? Do I need to repeat guided set up to get sound? Can HDMI slot be fixed? I have limited, and that's being kind, technical skills.

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Component does video only, so to get audio you'll need to use composite (red/white) cables as well. You still get full HD resolution with component, just not the convenience of a single (small) cable for both video and audio.

It would appear, at least from this test, that either the HDMI port (or cable?) is bad/flaky. If you search around here you'll find other threads with the same problem. I had a THD with a bad HDMI port even but it was still under warranty when it happened and TiVo replaced it.

7. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Thank you Windracer!

8. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    Tivo HDMI ports are fragile.

If you're going to component and want surround sound, you need run an optical cable from Tivo to your av receiver and you would select that optical input on your receiver.

If you want TV speakers, you can also run red/white RCA to the TV.