Help with no restart after power failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mike1273, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mike1273

mike1273 New Member

Feb 29, 2004

Advertisements

My HD TiVo will not reboot. It says "starting" but blank screen after a couple of minutes.

But, I can record via an iPhone app and retrieve with TiVo desktop and the light flickers when a remote button is pressed.

But no rebooting.....

Any ideas???

Mike

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
  3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    1-2 switch on the remote in the wrong position.

Remote somehow got re-programed. Try press and holding the TiVo and Pause buttons together release when the transmit led stays lit then press the number key '0'.

Controlling two TiVo DVRs with one remote

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Do you have an HDTV and how is it connected? Component or HDMI? What's the max resolution?
    Sounds like the Tivo might have somehow switched to a resolution your HDTV does not support.
    The reason you see the starting up screen is because it's most likely output at a low resolution so that most TVs will display it.
    Once you reach the 'just a few minutes more' screen, the Tivo switches to the resolution you set it to use and if those settings don't match what your TV is capable of, you get a blank screen.

Stuxnet posted the support link to check.

5. mike1273

mike1273 New Member

Feb 29, 2004

Advertisements

Thanks to all for the possible solution.

The TiVo remote is in the "1" position. No luck Tried three remotes.

Tried the button pushes recommended. No luck.

Connected another HDMI cable to another inout. Sony 52" Bravia XBR 6. No luck

Tried "kickstart "52". The unit appeared to reboot but still no luck.

The HD TiVo is still getting program updates from the network, still recording, can still see the recordings with TiVo remote.

Is there any way that TiVo can force a software/firmware update remotely?

Thanks again!

By the way, I have been running an HTPC for a months with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 card and am running WTVWatch and Lifextender that seems to perfectly remove the commercials and allows us to record up to Five (with two OTA USB tuners) and watch a third. I am only using the TiVo for a backup but I want it to work.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Did you mean you can still see the recordings on the Tivo through Tivo Desktop on your computer?

If you haven't already, try connecting to your TV using component cables. If that doesn't work, try the composit connection.
    Report on your findings.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's not which position the 1-2 switch is in, it's for which remote address that position has been programmed.

If you wanted to, you could program position 1 for remote address 2 and program position 2 for remote address 1.

Program one of the 2 positions for remote address 0 and try that.

If it doesn't work, reprogram that same position for addresses 1 through 9 successively, and see if any of them work.

8. mike1273

mike1273 New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Thanks to everyone on ideas! Steve614's idea of trying component cables WORKED!

Best regards,

mike1273

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    After hitting 0 (or 1 or 2 if that's what you want), you need to hit the right arrow on the 4-way pad to lock it in.