Help with multiple remotes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JHawk, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Mar 8, 2020 #1 of 14
    JHawk

JHawk Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Finally got my man cave back together after the basement flooded last summer. I have 3 LG tvs...1 43" 7300, 1 50" 7300 and a 65"OLED. The OLED has a Bolt (somehow survived the flood) and the other 2 have mini vox attached to them. I have set each Tivo remote to ir but when I hit power on/off the other tvs either come on or go off. Other remote functions work with the specific tv. What am I doing wrong?

TIA,
    JHawk

2. Mar 8, 2020 #2 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They are all the same brand, so the IR codes are the same.
    for the Tivos, using only IR can interfere and operate each other and you have to set the IR addresses separate.
    RF Tivos are paired so no cross operation, and only interact among Tivo.

IR is infrared light flashes such as morse code.

3. Mar 8, 2020 #3 of 14
    JHawk

JHawk Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Thank you!

4. Mar 8, 2020 #4 of 14
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This might be a situation that CEC would work to turn the TV's on and off rather than program the remotes to do it?

Scott

5. Mar 8, 2020 #5 of 14
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I was going to mention that, but does TiVo CEC (Wake with TiVo) turn the TV's off?

And it only works with TE4?

Plus, then you'd need a Custom Remote (Harmony, probably) that can turn a TiVo 'off' with a single button.

-KP

6. Mar 8, 2020 #6 of 14
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Good point/question on the off. We don't have/use CEC but thought I would mention it so no direct experience.

Scott

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Mar 8, 2020 #7 of 14
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No it won't.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. Mar 8, 2020 #8 of 14
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The 7300's have Google and Alexa capability...maybe that can be leveraged?

The OLED just has PalmPilot...

-KP

9. Mar 9, 2020 #9 of 14
    Triride44

Triride44 New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    I had the same problem happen when I pointed the LG remote straight at my OLED screen turning on a Vizio in another room. Replaced the Harmony remote with a Harmony Hub no more problem.

10. JHawk

JHawk Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Thank you all for your suggestions. This is certainly frustrating. No matter what I do I cannot get the individual Tivo remote to pair with that specific box. Either vox always turns on itself and the OLED (to which the Bolt is connected). I have a Sonos playbar hooked to the OLED. On occasion the Bolt remote will control the volume on one of the other tvs but not the Sonos. I've reset all units and gone through a new set up on each. Any idea what I'm doing wrong so the remote will only pair with the specfic vox or Bolt?
    TIA,
    JHawk

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    IR does not pair and is a line of sight control using infrared light.
    RF use radio frequency and does need to be paired, mainly Tivo remote will pair to Tivo devices not TVs.
    The Tivo remote control for power, volume and mute will always be IR even though the remote lights yellow indicating RF or red when in IR mode.

12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You need to be sure each remote is paired via RF to just the one TiVo/mini first so I think you'll need to start from the beginning with a global reset and be sure the other TiVos/mins are turned off (unplugged) when you pair each one. In addition since they are in the same room, you should go ahead and set the IR remote address on each to a different number other than 0 in case they fallback (0 controls any TiVo no matter what the remote address is set to).

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Controlling-2-TiVo-DVRs-with-Separate-Remotes

That should at least get each remote controlling each TiVo/mini. I'm not sure there is an answer for the TV volume since they are all the same model in the same room. The LG remotes should do the same thing. Sorry have not tried using a Sonos with TiVo although had no problem programming our TiVo remote for an Onkyo receiver.

Scott

13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    How about electrical tape over the remote sensor on the tv? You can turn the tv on and off manually. I know its a complicated work around but thats my style!

14. JHawk

JHawk Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Thank each one of you. One of the joys of retirement is I can spend a day screwing around with this kind of stuff...which is exactly what I did. I never could get it to work so I ended up taking the 43 and 50 LGs back to Best Buy. The Best Buy staff was understanding and helpful.I ended up with a 50" Vizio and 43" TCL. Hooked them up and viola....no remote problems. Thanks again for your suggestions.

kpeters59 likes this.