Help with Moca Connection & Tivo Volt Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Possie, Jan 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM.

1. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Hi there...

I have (and succesfully set up) a Tivo Bolt Vox on my main TV. It is currently set up to my Verizon Fios router.

I have since purchased a Tivo Vox Mini (and plan other if I can get first one working) that I want to set up on one of my other TVs (an older TV, but have HDMI to Composite adapter that works).

What I’m having problems with is establishing a Moca connection. I do not have ethernet through my house....just Coax.

I have Verizon Fios for internet and Comcast for Cable TV. (I was told this should not be a problem...but if anyone can confirm?)

My Verizon Router (model MI424WR) is in room next to where I have my Bolt Vox DVR...approximately 15 or so feet away, maybe a little more. My (first Vox Mini will be going upstairs on other side of house.

I’ve been on the phone 3 times with Tivo and once with verizon to try and figure this out.

First Tivo Rep suggested I call verizon to enable the moca network. Verizon told me that it is already Moca.

Second rep was useless and couldn’t explain anything adequately and said I needed a splitter, but couldn’t tell me why or how to set up and she ended up hanging up on me.

Third Rep thinks I need to get a Tivo Bridge and a splitter to make this thing work. If that is the case, I’m still a bit unsure how exactly that will all set up. Also is POE Filter necessary? No Tivo Rep mentioned that in any call, but I’ve seen mention of such a thing in online docs.

I read another post that suggests that my Fios router MI424WR may support a moca network.

So....with this information, can anyone confirm to me what I REALLY need to get hardware-wise if anything else...and also connection help advice?

Thanks so much for any insight on this.....I really miss plug-and-play setups. :/

Possie

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Minis have MoCa built-in, Bolts also. (except 4 tuner models) Its just a question of whether the Moca connections work.

3. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    The Moca connections are not working yet....that is why the post.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the modem/gateway/router is Moca capable, you could turn it on by logging into its IP. Otherwise, a MoCa adapter (AKA Tivo Bridge) is needed at that location. Bolt 6 tuner (or Roamio Plus/Pro) has built-in Moca (host), but it also requires ethernet connection in addition to the coax.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You will need at least one POE MoCA filter, possibly 2 if your Comcast modem is not MoCA friendly, but unlikely. If you have a common coax connection to your W1424WR(MoCA builtin and active by default) plus an Ethernet connection to it's WAN port you should have a MoCA network active assuming your coax runs are connected somewhere. The MoCA filter needs to be placed on the input of the first splitter to enter your home, unless Comcast used a 2 way with one leg feeding the cable modem and the other leg feeding another multiport splitter for your other coax runs. In that last case, the MoCA filter would go on the input of that multiport splitter. Your Bolt should connect to a MoCA network via coax only. If you also connect Ethernet from the router it will likely create 2 MoCA networks and fail....the minis should be connected via coax and use MoCA for their network connection.
    Phone CSR's are generally the worst place to get support help...these forums are likely the best especially for MoCA issues. you should not need another MoCA adapter. If you still find you are having problems after getting everything working, do a full power reset, pull the power on cable modem, router, all Tivos, and then starting with the cable modem, to router, to Tivo DVR to minis, power on each in order and allow them to fully reboot starting with the cable modem before going to the next item and so on.
    Come back, report progress. If still having issues, the easiest way to sort issues is via a diagram or sketch of your network coax and ethernet devices.

6. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Have Bolt 6 tuner. I don’t have ethernet through house...that is why need moca to work.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you can get ethernet from Bolt to router, then the rest can be MoCa. The Bolt will be host.

8. jtashiro

jtashiro New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Possie, can you describe how you have connected the Bolt DVR to Fios and Comcast? Im not clear on the coax and ethernet feeds coming into your home in this configuration. Do you have a Fios ONT, a large box where the Fiber line comes into your home and gets converted into Ethernet, Coax and phone lines? Comcast I would think delivers cable tv over its own coax cable to your home - is that the case?

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Fcfc2 —

I don’t have a comcast modem. I now have a cablecard for comcast in my Tivo Bolt that replaces old cable box. My internet provider (verizon fios) is different from my cable provider. Is this a problem?

As for cable coming in my house....it enters at basement and goes to a 3-way splitter (I’m guessing because cable goes to basement plus 2 other levels of house). The 3-way splitter is 1002 MHz, so I have a feeling I have to upgrade that too? Tivo tech mentioned spliiter I needed to get to go to router needed to be at least 1650 MHz. Would that be correct?

Thanks!

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think that is the culprit. It passes up to that 1000 MHz and MoCa is higher, in the 2000 Mhz range.

11. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Jtashiro -

Bolt is connected directly to coax in wall. My fios router, up until I just got smart tv thing was only for internet only.

I didn’t set up router myself....fios dudes did that as I recall. There is a coax line connected into the back of my router.

Hope that helps

12. jtashiro

jtashiro New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Possie, the coax line on the back of your Fios router is your Moca network leg, assuming that you would use the router as the Moca bridge. Can you trace the coax line that is connected to the back of the router back to the FIOS ONT box or does it go to the Comcast coax line, which is the 3 way splitter you mention? That will help us figure out if the Router, Mini, and Bolt are on the Same physical network. If that is all wired up to Comcast then Yes, upgrade the splitter to 2ghz would help, and add a POE filter in Front of the 3-way splitter to keep Moca from flowing out of your home ...

13. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Jtashiro -

I went to look at stuff, and I think that the coax from the router goes to the comcast coax lines. I did see the fios ONT box down there (have to say I had no idea what that was until I saw label on the box). There is a fios line from the outside that I believe connects to that ONT box, but I don’t see a coax associated with it at that point.

The splitter I mentioed above I could easily trace one of the cables that goes to basement tv for sure. Hard to tell the other two that are hooked up, but I suspect one of those is the one that goes into the main level router and I’m guessing other one goes upstairs. Again, this is my best guess looking at a pile of spaghetti’ed household cables.

14. jtashiro

jtashiro New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Ok, so the only cable going to the Bolt DVR is the coax, correct? There is NO Ethernet cable on the Bolt (which is what we want for Moca-only), and the Bolt has connected to TiVo service, has an IP address, and all is good with comcast cable card/TV, correct? That would confirm that the Moca is working properly and the Router is handling Moca.

If all that is true, I would bring the Mini to the basement, and connect the coax that is going to the basement TV to the Mini, then re-run the Guided Setup (Help screen), choosing Moca and confirm that it can connect to the Internet. In the Moca setup, choose 'Auto' channel instead of a specific value.

One other point. Did you purchase the Mini from Tivo directly or 3rd party? When was it activated? There is a lag period between activation request and when the Mini becomes 'active'. This is a frustrating part of the TiVo experience... so all your connections may have been completely fine, but waiting for TiVo activation cycle to complete. YMMV

15. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Jtashiro -

Yes, the only cable to Bolt DVR is coax. I do not have any ethernet. Bolt is connected fine thru wifi in current state. It didnt connect when trying to change to Moca in the settings when trying to get the mini working with the tivo phone rep.

So, let me get what I should try — take mini to downstairs tv and connect up. Do I then change setting on Bolt DVR for moca at that point before trying guided setup on mini again?

Thanks so much for advice btw....

16. Possie

Possie New Member

Sunday
    Tivo purchased directly, and I believe they activated mini before I got it, because I tried online activation and it said it was already active.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Quick take ... you have coax lines for cable TV, and you have coax for your FiOS connection, but MoCA enabled on the FiOS couldn’t reach your cable TV coax devices, since these coax lines need to be kept separate, else you’ll have signal conflicts (barring trickery).

The simplest/cleanest solution would be if you had an additional unused coax outlet available at the FiOS router location, which could be connected to your cable TV coax plant ... and then use a standalone MoCA adapter to bridge the FiOS router Ethernet LAN to a MoCA network on the cable TV coax lines. You would then configure both the DVR and Mini as MoCA clients.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, boxes purchased from TiVo are activated at shipping. (Makes for easier setup when they arrive.)

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    But as a wireless client, correct?

(You’ll want the BOLT as a MoCA client, as well, once the kinks are worked-out.)

20. jtashiro

jtashiro New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Bolt connected via WiFi is using Ethernet (just without a wire). Since you know this works, and can revert back since you have set this up already, I'd suggest trying to get Moca to work with the Bolt and disabling wifi at the Bolt. If we get that to work then we know a few things and will give you a stronger Bolt experience with hard-wired coax connections instead of wifi.

Let's disable Ethernet and Wifi on the Bolt and have the Bolt use Moca as it's method to get to the Internet. You can change those in the Network Settings screen, choose Moca Client and disable Ethernet and Wifi. If the Bolt can get an IP address and pass the Network tests, then Moca is working and provided by your Router. If not, then Moca isn't working and would point to either the router not setup for moca, or the coax wiring such that the Bolt coax and Router coax are not on the same physical network or the splitter is limiting the moca traffic.

If you don't want to touch the Bolt because it is working, then Yes, take the Mini to the basement, put the coax onto it and run the guided setup. Choose Moca. Do Not change the Bolt to moca, that is not needed for the mini. Mini and Bolt can be on different connection types, but they must be on the Same network. If the Mini can get an IP address then Moca is working. If Mini cant get IP address it will give an error message.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 10:55 PM