Help with Mini/MOCA set up

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JVM60, Jan 20, 2017.

1. JVM60

JVM60 New Member

Jan 20, 2017

Advertisements

Just added a Mini this year and can not get the MOCA setup on the host Bolt.

Set-up: Verizon Fios Actiontec MI424WR in room 1. Bolt in Room 2 (connected for the last year via wireless, everything works fine this way). Mini in upstairs room. Only common connectivity in all three places is wireless or in wall coaxial cables original to house.

Can not get MOCA set-up and running on Bolt.

Have the POE filter and bridge set-up next to router. TIVO support states this in a network problem and to be sure UDP and TCP ports are not blocked. Verizon states port forwarding is not the issue and that it is more than likely the coax.

Thoughts? If I set up a temporary wired ethernet connection from the router to the bolt, would that work (to bypass the coax from room 1 (with router) to the room 2 (bolt)?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    What do you mean by "and bridge next to router"? Your verizon router is also the bridge and creates the moca network. You don't need a bridge.

Also, your POE is likely in the wrong place, blocking moca from your Bolt and Mini. If you have FIOS, you don't need a POE. If you don't have FIOS, it belongs where the cable leaves your house.

Lastly, you must choose Moca in the network setup for both mini and bolt. But on the bolt, it should NOT create the network.

Temp ethernet would bypass but wouldn't really bring you any closer to a permanant solution.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your MI424WR is capable of establishing a MoCA network... and may already be... so I'm wondering what the mentioned bridge is for. Also, you mention the "POE filter" being set-up next to router; this isn't where the filter would go. For now, remove the "POE filter" (as a temporary measure); it's possible a misplaced MoCA filter is blocking your communication -- though I have many questions/concerns re: your described setup.

Questions:
    • Are you using FiOS for Internet service?
    • Is your MI424WR configured for a coax or Ethernet WAN connection?
    • Can you report the revision of your MI424WR?
    • Can you tell via the router's UI if it has an active MoCA LAN?
    • How do your rooms (and their coax wall outlets) interconnect? Can you provide a description or diagram depicting the connectivity, including whatever components provide the interconnection between the rooms? (see attached for some example diagrams, for inspiration)

----
    example diagrams:
    MoCA_diagram_eg1.jpg MoCA example 3.png

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi
    If on Fios, please remove the MoCA POE filter as it is almost certainly mis-positioned and may not be needed at all. The rest Kaufman has already covered. The Actiontec W1424WR must be either the Rev F - I, as the older versions (MoCA 1.0) will not be compatible with the Bolt's MoCA 2.0. If using either a Rev F or I, your Bolt and minis, should connect by using the "connect to a MoCA network" option as the Actiontec's MoCA LAN is on by default. If you are trying to use one of the older Actiontec's Rev A-E, you must go in and disable the MoCA LAN side and then use that spare MoCA adapter to get your MoCA network running.

5. JVM60

JVM60 New Member

Jan 20, 2017

Advertisements

After posting original note yesterday, I went back and REMOVED POE filter and the Bridge (which I had been told by TIVO support was required). Back to original set-up. When I went to the Mini, it had update itself and was at the start-up screen. Went through all the steps and it then recognized the MOCA network. I had TIVO service from the Mini (recorded programs and history), but no LIVE tv feed. Main TV in den also had BOLT info but no live feed. REMOVED Mini connections and went back to original FIOS box set-up on TV 2 and live TV returned. Still know Live TIVO on Bolt unit with cable card. Trying to get get service back per original set-up on all TVs before attempting Mini set-up (without POE and bridge) again.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sounds like your cable card simply isn't activated. Luckily Fios makes it easy to do yourself online.

When your Bolt gets live TV, your Minis will too since they get everything from the Bolt.

I'm still curious about this "brigde". What model is it exactly? Did you buy it from Tivo? Can you return it?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  7. JVM60

JVM60 New Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Cable card fixed. It was a problem with one of the leads coming out of the wall. One was bad, when I switched leads, everything came back online.

Went upstairs to the mini, REMOVED the fios box, connected the wall coax to the mini to the and all the cable connections. Presto. Full functionality of the Mini (live tv, recorded programs, netflix and amazon functionality). On the phone with tiro now getting my money back guarantee refund for the bridge and POE.

The tivo bridge info is here:
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/bridge

There was also a software update pushed out to the bridge overnight on friday, this allowed the MOCA to be recognized.

Rather convoluted fix, and not very clear instructions for the set-up, but I'm happy with the final result.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

mdavej likes this.