Help with Itunes and TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MarkSFCA, Mar 31, 2005.

1. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    I have Itunes and have been copying my CDs to my computer using Itunes. After copying them, I now would like to listen to the them through TiVo. However, when I try to play them through TiVo, it finds the folder containing the music but TiVo says there is no music there to play.

Can someone tell me the best way to be able to listen to the CDs that I have copied using Itunes on TiVo?

Do I have to convert them to MP3? How do I do that?

Do I have to use another program to burn my CDs? I tried Windows Media Player 10 but I still wasn't able to listen to the songs.

I have lots of CDs to burn so before I do that I want to find the best program that copies them and then allows TiVo to play them. I would prefer to use Itunes.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mark

2. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain Your Hero

Aug 15, 2004
    Austin
    TiVo won't read AAC files, the iTunes format.

You can rip CD's in Windows Media Player as WMA files or MP3 files; not sure if you can do so (to MP3) in iTunes by tweaking settings. TiVo will read either WMAs or MP3s.

3. MikeyB

MikeyB Distracted Member

Jan 7, 2005
    VA
    Use Exact Audio Copy (and LAME) to make virtually flawless MP3s.

4. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    You aren't burning the CDs when you put them onto your hard drive, you're importing, aka ripping, the tunes from the disc. A burn is when you copy files to a CD. CDs can be burned in iTunes as "data," i.e. copying the files as is to the disc, or "mp3," the tunes will be converted to mp3 if necessary and burned to the disc, or "audio," the tunes will be converted to aif format if necessary so the disc can be played in the vast majority of CD players.

Go to your iTunes preferences - under the iTunes pull-down menu on a Mac and under the Edit pull-down menu on Windoze.

Choose the Import pref. The default import format is AAC, which is not supported by TiVo, although there are some who say their TiVo DVR is playing them. You'll want to choose "Import Using: MP3 Encoder" if you want to be sure you're able to play them through your TiVo DVR. The prefs are easy to change to something else, e.g. AIFF, should you want to make a better copy.

Choose the Burn pref. When you want to burn a music CD that can play in regular CD players be sure the Burn pref is set the the proper choice ("Audio CD"), as opposed to a Data or MP3 disc.

MP3 is still the most widely usuable (does that even make sense?) format, even if there are "better" and/or smaller formats.

5. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    Thanks arc6th. Excellent information since I am new to Itunes. I'm using Windows, by the way.

My only concent is this: If I rip my CDs in MP3 format, will I be able to play them when I send them to my IPOD?

6. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes. Every format iTunes imports will play in the iPod.

7. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    Excellent! Thanks!

8. ehanson

ehanson New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Wheaton, IL
    Wish I had thought to check here before - I figured this out myself after some time consuming trial and error. One other related question: Any idea how to make playlists available on TiVo? I used to have some that were created from some other application than iTunes (it might have been MusicMatch) and I could "play" them but my iTunes ones don't seem to be available.

9. queenie311

queenie311 New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    I have a new TiVoDVR series 2, a iBook G4, (updated) I downloaded the TiVo desktop, have the icon but clicking does nothing. The Genius at the Apple store fixed some permissions, and TiVo cust sx wanted to send a Geek Squad out for $50. I still cannot see iTunes on my box, I am using the wireless setup, should I run an ethernet wire direct to the TivO?
    Thanx