Help with Home Video DVD to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jjberger2134, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002

Advertisements

I have asked this question in a couple of different forums on this site, but have not received any answers. Based on the suggestion of another member - I am posting a duplicate thread in this forum, since this forum deals more specifically with my issue. Here's my issue:

I have some home movies (shot with a 8mm video recorder then transfered to DVD via a retail store service). Recently, I started playing around with a program called "Videora Tivo Converter". It seems to work well encoding video to the TiVo format. I then transfer the video to the TiVo Desktop folder, and then transfer one of my TiVo's to watch the video.

One of the DVD's has a 2 hour video broken down into 4 - thirty minute segments. Each time I use Videora TiVo Converter I can only convert 1 segment at a time. Thus, in the end when I finally get the video to the TiVo, a single disc with 2 hours of video shows on my Now Playing List as 4 individual items.

Here's my question.

Is there a way, using Videora Tivo Converter (or another application) to convert the entire DVD as 1 segment on my PC so I can transfer to TiVo as 1 file instead of 4?

Thanks for any suggestions or help with this matter.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The only suggestion I can come up with is to try VideoReDo .

It has a "joiner" function that will do what you want.

3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks Steve. I appreciate the info. I will try to download the program and "join" the videos together to make one.

Any suggestions on how to get multiple home videos into a single folder on the Now Playing list?

I have several home videos, which I have labeled Home Video 1, Home Video 2, etc. etc. Each of these will show up on the NPL as a separate entry. Can I get all of them into a single folder with a master name (ie. Home Videos) and then have more specifics about the video within the folder, much like an "episode" name for regular shows?

4. Sicklybutsexy

Sicklybutsexy Member

May 5, 2007
    Unfortunately not. The lack of ability to use folders is a real bugaboo and something we all hope Tivo inc. will fix with their next update.

Another way you can join to videos together and is free is to use virtualdubmod. Open the file and append the next video to it.

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

5. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.

Advertisements

Remember Videora only changes the dvd video into mpg2. What ever program you are using to extract the video to your pc (DVD decriptor) is picking one video at a time. If the dvd has a play all feature in the menu its self you should be a be able to port all the content over in one block. Remember to check the the box with the longest time when selecting what to move to pc. Hope this helps

6. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Maybe I am doing this wrong, but I simply insert the DVD into the DVD player on my PC, and open Videora. Then using the Videora software navigate to my "D" (DVD) drive, and find the files that I want to convert. I then start the mpg2 encoding directly from the DVD.

Is it better to use a program like DVD decriptor? (Please link if you can).

Also, thanks sicklybutsexy, I will check out the free software to join videos.

I downloaded and joined the videos using VideoReDo that Steve mentioned. It worked very well, and the 15 day free trial is nice.

7. Sicklybutsexy

Sicklybutsexy Member

May 5, 2007
    It's actually better to use DVD shrink (another freeware program)

Just take the parts of the video you want and put them on your hard drive. Then you can append them with Virtuadubmod or Videoredo (videoredo is better and a great program but it will cost you 50$ - well worth it.)

8. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    I never did it that way but that will work for unencrypted content. On Videora web site just click guide and there is a whole online guide that will explain how to move video to your TiVo. ( I think it uses the IPOD as the target device but it explains it doesn't make a difference) If I remember correctly it even has the link to download DVD Decryptor. I thought the beginning of this thread was questioning how to move all video over in one block. Another thing that I thought of is to remember the TiVo doesn't read chapters, I don't know what options you get through the Videora transfer, but with DVD Decriptor you can eliminate the chapters and stuff. It explains how to do that in the guide. Hope this helps. Good luck with the home videos.

9. Sicklybutsexy

Sicklybutsexy Member

May 5, 2007
    Using DVD decryptor does not give you the ability to turn it into one vob file. I believe DVD decryptor splits all the vob files in 1 gb chunks so that you have to joint them all. DVD shrink will allow you to take the enitre dvd and turn it into one vob file.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Here is the easy way to do this...

1) Get a copy of VideoReDo NOT Videora

2) Insert your DVD

3) In VideoReDo select "Open Title From DVD" from the File menu

4) Select your "D" drive, then select the VIDEO_TS folder and hit Open.

5) The list that opens will have all the various video segments on the DVD.* Select one of the half hour segments and hit OK.

6) If you want to make any edits then do it now, otherwise just select Joiner -> Add Current Project to Joiner

7) For each additional segment repeat steps 3-6.

8) Once you're ready select Joiner -> Create Video from Joiner List and save the output as a single .mpg file in your My TiVo Recordings folder. (or select Edit Joiner List if you need to rearrange the segments before outputting)

When that's done you should have a complete 2 hour video ready to transfer to your TiVo.

Dan