Help with dead tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TLD, Jan 20, 2006.

1. TLD

TLD New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I came home and found my 80 hour series 2 Tivo with all the lights on in front, the left glowing green and amber and the right one glowing red and amber and the video was blank. It won't reboot after unplugging and re-plugging it but I think I hear the hard drive spinning or it could be the fan, so it's not dead, dead.
    I guess the first thing is if anyone knows what this means. Hard drive, power supply?
    The next thing is I also have a 40 series 2 Tivo. Can I swap the hard drive from my dead Tivo to my 40 hour one to see if it's the hard drive and if it's not, to try to rescue the shows from it to my PC via Tivo to go. If I just move the hard drive over will the working Tivo boot up from the larger hard drive and allow me to access my shows?
    Thanks for any help in advance.

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I know when I had a head crash on a 14 hr. SA unit I still had video, though the image on the screen was frozen. I'm not sure that no video necessarily means bad power supply.

If you already know the manufacturer of the hard drive in the crashed TiVo, you can download their diagnostic software and connect the HdD to your PC to run it. If the drive passes, you'll know it's the power supply.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    This sounds like a power supply failure. You can buy replacement power supply boards from http://www.weaknees.com

4. TLD

TLD New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Thank you, that makes sense. How about the hard drive swap can they just be swapped, will it boot . Can the power supply from the 40 hour be swapped over to the 80, there both the black face series 2 Tivos. Thanks again.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, the power supplies should be the same. You can swap the hard drives, but you'll have to perform a "clear and delete everything" before you can use it, so you'll lose your recordings.