Help with dead HR10-250, please

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by davidjplatt, Sep 5, 2007.

1. davidjplatt

davidjplatt Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Herndon, VA
    Someone I work with is pretty bummed out. He purchased an HR10-250 when they were $1000 each and he has loved it for the last two years.

Recently, it rebooted and was stuck at the Welcome powering up screen. I told him it was probably a dead hard drive. He was POed because there are recordings on it he really wants.

I know it is the hard drive because he brought the unit into work today and I brought it home, opened it up and couldn't get it past the Welcome screen. I did a quick test by disconnecting the mounted hard drive and hooking up the 250GB hard drive from the HR10-250 I upgraded to a 500GB drive. Of course, the unit booted all the way up, got satellite signal and tuned Universal HD, ESPN HD, ESPN 2 HD, etc.

Question is as follows: Can I take the 250GB hard drive I removed from my TiVo, clone a new hard drive (300GB spare) from it without expanding the partitions and then take his hard drive and copy the MFS partitions to the new clone using dd to save the recordings? I seem to remember that the disk key is stored in MFS so the decryption with the crypto chip on his machine should still decrypt his recordings.

Am I on the right track? I suspect he might want me to upgrade the drive while I'm at it so I could clone my 250GB drive to a spare 300GB, save his recordings and then use mfslive to upgrade to a 500GB or 750GB drive.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No, that won't work. With prior software modifications there's no way to migrate those old recordings to a new hard drive and have them work anymore. The only way to do it is if the original drive's image files are recoverable, perhaps using a recovery utility like SpinRite.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I dont know if this will work but when my T60 drive was going bad, i was able to dd it over to a new drive and a few shows were there. most were not

but at this point sounds like you dont have anything to lose.

4. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    MakeTivoBootable once fixed a DTivo that wouldn't boot for me. Something had gotten corrupted when I powered down to move it to a different room. Spinrite declared the drive okay, then MakeTivoBootable brought it back to life. Worth a shot I guess.

You can probably download free diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer's website. Or at least get something to read the SMART data.

5. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    About the only way to salvage that drive (temporarily, drives don't last forever) it to try Spinrite. The downside is it's $90 and there is no guaranty that it will fix the bad drive. I've fixed 2 Directivos using it, so it can work. www.spinrite.com