Help with Comcast digital transport adapter and no cable cards equals no picture?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Filament, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I have Comcast cable and I am required to use the "digital transport adapter" as they just went all digital in my area. I do not have cable cards and previously was just fine getting the analog stations. The "digital transport adapters" are all set up and work just fine through the TV. BUT... when I connect it to the Tivo the signal is not passed through. I have the TV hooked up through Component cables as before. I have the TV set to channel 3. I have run Channel Scan each time I changed settings. I have run guided setup several times telling it that I had both antenna and cable and cable only. I cannot get a picture but I can see all the Tivo screens ie Now playing etc. So I know the component cable is passing that through. Is it me? What the Heck! Any help much appreciated.

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Did you purchase an IR cable and repeat Guided Setup to tell it that you are now using a DTA?

3. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks Hammer. The series 3 I have does not have a IR input like the series 2 although I did read about that method. I ran guided set up with ALL configurations except "with a cable card" which I don't have.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I could be wrong, but I don't think a Series 3(or 4) is designed to work with cable boxes(and DTA boxes).

You must get a cable card to use the S3Tivos(with cable), if all the analog channels are gone. Series 2 Tivos will work with cable boxes and dta boxes.

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
  6. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Well this sucks:(. From the link 'Home User' posted it looks like it isn't going to work without a cable card. So more $$ to Comcast. If I use a roof top antenna (OTA); will I have a TV guide and be able to record two shows at once? I'm just trying to get back what I had before the digital switch without an extra expenditure.

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It's only about $1.50/mo for one cc, if you don't have other cable box or cc.

Yes, all features work as advertised with OTA, (assuming you have a subscription for the Tivo).

8. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Dwit, any idea if I can even get a cable card(s) with only Limited Basic cable with Comcast? I thought I had to have at least a "Basic Cable" package to get one and I thought they we're more like $5.00 a month. I'm going to have to weigh the monthly charge with the hassle/cost of getting and setting up a antenna. I'm in the Sacramento, Ca area and the new TV season just started with only an old VCR for recording.:(

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry. I don't know. It may vary from region to region.

But seriously though, just inquire about the card, letting them know that your Series 3 Tivo needs one to function at all with cable. Just tell them you just want to get the same channels you were supposed to get with the dta.

Hopefully you don't have to go through it, but you may have to thoroughly investigate and research what your true options and costs are.

Good luck.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Definitely take the DTA off of the TiVo. Channel scan would find all of the clear QAM (unencrypted digital cable) channels but you would be limited to manual recordings since you can't get guide data for them. You should be able to get at least one Cable Card at no additional cost from Comcast. You will need 2 if this is a TiVo 3(with OLED) and not a TiVo HD and they might charge you for the second one. I don't think anyone has reported a monthly charge per card by Comcast >$2.50 though. I was only charged $1.50/month per card before they changed it to a "Digital Outlet" fee.

11. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Depends on the area. Buddy of mine is getting charged $14/mo for card/outlet fee.

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    My digital outlet fee is $8.50/mo per TiVo. I get a $2.50/mo per TiVo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit.

If your buddy is being charged both an outlet fee and for the first CC in that TiVo and/or is not getting the credit, he should complain. Loudly and repeatedly.

13. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Not sure if he gets the credit. I know I do. That being said, I also get a ridiculously good deal on my cable/Internet whereas most people get shafted, regardless of provider.