Help with Cablecard Failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by supersnoop, Jun 6, 2011.

1. supersnoop

supersnoop Member

Nov 13, 2007

Advertisements

I'm having a strange problem with my cablecards. In three years of service with Suddenlink, this is the first time I've had a cablecard problem, so it's new territory for me. Unfortunately, it seems to be new territory for the technicians, too.

I have two S3's, each with two s-cards. As of this week, none of them get HBO or Showtime (regular or HD). All the additional HBO and Showtime channels still come in just fine, including HBOFamily-HD. I've confirmed this on all four cablecards.

The technician and phone support tried to re-pair the cards, but without success. They took all the cablecard information and re-entered it into the system, but it was unable to pair. Their answer is to replace all four cards. They're searching for cablecards now, and I'm not holding out hope.

This seems unlikely that all four s-cards failed all at the same time. I also have a THD with an m-card still working fine. What could possibly cause this problem? Where is the real solution? This sounds like a system issue, not a card issue to me, but they're insisting on swapping out the cards.

One last interesting piece of information, which may be unrelated. Suddenlink just implemented content protection for these missing channels. I only noticed because my wife tried to transfer some HBO and Showtime original shows from the THD to an S3 this weekend, and they came up with the red mark prohibiting transfer.

2. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Are your cablecards single-strem or multi-stream cards? Find out if the cable firm has switched from providing service to a different type card. Many cable firms are switching to multi-stream cablecards only. (If this is the case, only one M-card would be needed per TiVo machine as opposed to two S-cards per machine).

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Member

Nov 13, 2007
    The cable company still stocks S-Cards. These are two S3, not THD units, so they still require two cards, whether S or M.

4. Suddenlink Help

Suddenlink Help New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Hi -- My name is Tina and I am with Suddenlink. I'd be happy to work with management in your area to resolve the issues you are having with your cablecards. Please contact me via email at tina-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com for further assistance. Thank you!

5. allykat2007

allykat2007 New Member

Jun 10, 2011

Advertisements

I had the same problem with 2 Tivo Premier boxes with 1 M-card in each one. Started out losing HBO east and Showtime east on both Tivo's but nothing else. A week later I lost a few more HBO channels followed a couple of days later by all remaining HBO and Showtime channels. The Suddenlink tech's said that they couldn't get them to pair properly and that they would have to escelate the problem. During the 3rd service visit I talked them into just swapping the existing cards between the 2 Tivo boxes. The tech was then able to pair them with no problems and all the channels play again. The tech said that most likely the cards had a fault due to either a recent Tivo or Suddenlink software update and that by swapping them from 1 Tivo to the other forced the cards to do a hard reset within the Suddnelink system which would have cleared the faults. Even though you have S-cards, you may have similar luck and may save you some time while waiting for them to find new cards.

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    If "All the additional HBO and Showtime channels still come in just fine, including HBOFamily-HD" I'm suspecting this is not a card issue. Rather it is likely an authorization problem. Sounds like Tina will fix you up...