Help with a hard drive upgrade...

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by pukashellgirl, Jul 31, 2007.

1. pukashellgirl

pukashellgirl New Member

Jul 30, 2007

Advertisements

hi folks!

i want to thank everyone for their imput on my post. a special thanks to HOMEUSER for his advice and direction. my question is answered and i am on my way to swapping out drives...!

much aloha,
    laura

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I suggest replacing your current drive with a new large one instead of swapping. This way if the large drive ever failed you could always go back to your old one.

The simple answer to whats needed is that you have to connect your old tivo hard drive and your new blank drive to your computer and boot off a CD that has the tools needed to make the changes.

I suggest reading the guide at http://www.mfslive.com/

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    If the first 3 digits of the model number are the same then the drive would be drop in. You will need to do the CADE to register the new drive with the TiVo before you can play or record anything.

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Advertisements

Thats no good. It doesn't create a large swap partition or have a media partition over 274gb.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Both do not apply here. I think all the OP wants to do is replace the 40Hour drive in the Lifetime TiVo with the drive out of the 80Hour non lifetime. I have conformation that both TiVo's are Series2 540 models. I do not see any problem doing this, the OP all-ready stated that they know about running the Clear And Delete Everything and that should be run after the drive is replaced.

Side Note:
    If you sign up for Guru Guides or Kid Zone and make a couple of connections to the TiVo server a side effect is your season passes and wish lists are saved. Sometimes both are restored when the TiVo connects with the new drive.