Help with a broken box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by solsurfer, Feb 5, 2007.

1. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA

Advertisements

I have an old HDVR2 box that I zippered and ran without trouble for over a year. Recently the drive started going into a re-boot cycle - restarting itself every 30-45 minutes. I thought maybe the image had become corrupted, so I pulled the drive, bought an new instantcake image and reimaged/zippered the drive. Same problem.

I assumed it was a bad drive, so I grabbed another drive I had in the closet and imaged/zippered that. This drive initially looked to work. I could view programming, etc. I called DTV to activate locals, verified it worked, then turned it off for the night. When I woke up, I found that this drive is also going into a reboot cycle. Only makes it to the 9% of "acquiring satellite' screen before rebooting itself only to repeat on a loop. Could this drive also be bad? Is there some hardware explanation?

Thanks!

2. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    if you are using an IR blaster type device or anything that puts out a lot of IR noise, some dtivos running 6.2 are quite sensitive to it... try blocking the IR port, and see if it still reboots

3. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA
    I gave that a try, but no improvement. And I'm not sure, but I think the instantcake they sell for this box is 3.x. Any other suggestions?

4. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    well, one possibility would be the power supply and another would be heat.
    easiest to test heat, I suppose... try leaving the box open with a fan blowing on it, and see if it keeps rebooting

p.s. if you have folders, you're running 6.2, otherwise it's 3.x

5. luder

luder New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

I decided to do a write up but, it's involved with a multi-meter if you don't have one you can find one but, do it at your own risk.

Step 1
    what you want to do is make sure the power cord is discounected count to 10 then open the lid the first thing is to locate the hardrive discounect ata serial cord and molex so that it's is not connected to tivo at all. Make sure you put the tivo hardrive in a nice static free place this is very important! Once again you should have the power cord discounected and hardrive in a safe place

Step 2
    Testing power supply for PBX

What I would do first is go to your home computer and touch the metal casing to discharge your body from static since the tivo unit does not supply a ground for the unit and is a must to discharge yourself before inspection static shock to sensitve chips is a big no.

Next you should start inspecting the two ribbins that is connected to the board.. To ensure a proper connection gently push on the center of the ribbins then the outside. if it does not go any further it's fine. What we're doing here is to pin point the problem with a check list.
    if this is good goto step 3 .

Step 3
    Testing Cooling
    Cover the lid and finally plug the power cord be sure to inspect the cooling fan give it 30 - 45 min if the screen still says powering up for the full 45 min test goto step 4
    **Keep in mind that the tivo is still disconected from tivo****

Step 4
    Now the fun part playing with electrical tools.
    Let's start out with the multimeter. A multimeter is a handy tool if you don't have one you can buy inexpensive ones at your local electonic stores. Just make sure you know your tool in most causes Red (+) COM (-) should be in there correct terminals . Now i'm not going to go in detail on how electricity works some scientist say that neg jumps to positive to make a circuit Some say lighting strikes down to earth some say it comes from the ground up regardless the two meet and completes good eats i mean circuit If your lost right now just use google. Make sure to set your multimeter to VDC for DC
    goto step 5

Step 5
    Testing molex
    [​IMG]
    As you can see colors are red/black (+5v) yellow/black (+12v) they should be twisted in to pairs for now we will name red/black channel 1 and yellow/black channel 2 . Start with the easiest first start test Channel one with your probes if you get ~+5v then go on to channel 2 this should read out around ~+12v if all is good remove power cord and reinstall the tivo drive then power up your unit and report your results

6. Quank

Quank New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Detroit, MI USA
    So what happened? My HDVR2 started doing the exact same thing tonight! It does the reboot cycle right as it gets to 9% or so of the Guilde Data.

I had zero issues prior to this other than taking a long time to display the "Now Showing" list. But that was infrequent.

I am able to hit the DirecTV button then "Now Showing" real quick to see a list of my saved programs, but it boots right after displaying them.

7. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA
    I haven't had a chance to try out what luder suggested. My buddy's bringing me a multimeter next week. But I'm also thinking it might be the drive. I'd like to test swapping a brand-new drive and seeing if that helps. I'll let you know...