Help, weak signal from odd transponders

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bearymore, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bearymore

bearymore New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    All of a sudden, I started to notice that the Daily Show was coming in pixielated (horrors!). Checking the signal strength, I found it to be only around 40. When I went to the satellite test screen and went through the transponders, I found that I was getting good signals on all the even numbered transponders (75-99) and poor signals on all the odd numbered transponders (none above 55). This was happening on both my DTivos. I checked the connections to the Tivo and I checked the connections to the multiswitch. I replaced one of the connectors to the switch because it might have been a little loose. This improved things slightly -- from the 30's and 40's, odd signals seemed to boost to the 40's and 50's. Of course, that could just be my imagination.

Could I have a bad multiswitch? I don't think there's an issue with the antenna. I'm in L.A. and it hasn't rained for months and the weather has been remarkably calm, so I don't see the cables on the roof suddenly working loose after 5 years.

I'd appreciate any wisdom the group might have.

Thanks.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Use F/F barrel connectors to bypass the multiswitch as a check to see if it is failing.

BTW, what dish are you using? What multiswitch? What receiver(s)?

3. bearymore

bearymore New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have two Philips DSR 704's. The dish is a round Sony which I've now had for several years. The Multiswitch is a non-powered RCA four way which is in the crawl space under the house. Unfortunately, that is where the dish's wires go, so it would be a major job to do a direct connection to the Tivos.

I've had this setup for a while. The particular multiswitch is about a year and a half old. The rest is even older. The dish has been on the roof for a good 10 years. The dual LNB went on about 3 or 4 years ago. I've had no problems, except for a bad no-name cheapy multiswitch which was replaced by the current one over a year ago as I've said.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    By your description, you need to replace the dish and multiswitch. You may not need to replace the switch since the new dishes have four outputs. If you do need to add a multiswitch, I suggest you make it more accessable.!