HELP!!!!!!! VERY slow network connectivity

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by midnightcharger, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 #1 of 18
    midnightcharger

midnightcharger New Member

May 7, 2011
    I have a Premiere that is connected to my home network via wired ethernet, but the connection is beyond insanely slow. Netflix will never stream above 50% of full capabilities for speed on the little graph that shows up when it's determining your connection speed. It can't even get a simple YouTube video to download faster than playing speed.

I know there is no issue with hardware in my network causing the speed issue because I can take my Xbox360 and connect it to the same ethernet cable I'm using for my Premiere and it can stream Netflix at full HD speed and everything.

I also have a Series3 TiVo connected to my network and it can stream Netflix in full HD as well. So between the 360 and Series3 being able to run fine I'm assuming there is a problem with my Premiere.

Anyone else have this problem with super slow network speeds? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. May 7, 2011 #2 of 18
    midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    Just ran a YouTube download and it went at 0.5Mbs :(

3. May 7, 2011 #3 of 18
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    New Premiere, new problem? Existing Premiere, new problem?

DHCP? Static IP?

Router brand?

4. May 7, 2011 #4 of 18
    midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    It's a brand new Premiere. It's pulling everything via DHCP. Router is a Cisco 871 running the Cisco IOS.

Everything of how my Premiere connects to my network and all the network configurations are the exact same for both my Premiere and Series3 which is what is really getting me.

5. May 7, 2011 #5 of 18
    midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    Just got done talking to TiVo. They are saying that the Premiere needs an internet connection with at least 5-7 Megs UPLOAD speed in order for streaming to work. Has anyone heard of that?

They say it's not published anywhere though. I think that is insane. I have 20/2 connection and will get 15/1.3 consistently for actual speeds.

6. May 7, 2011 #6 of 18
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Total lie. We have a 16/2 connection and it works fine. Sounds like the rep you talked to didn't understand the difference between upload and download.

7. May 7, 2011 #7 of 18
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Do you have QoS prioritizing or bandwidth allocation on the Router? Maybe the Premiere is getting throttled because of it?

8. May 7, 2011 #8 of 18
    midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    No, I'm not using any QoS prioritizing or bandwidth allocation.

9. May 7, 2011 #9 of 18
    midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking as well

10. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Try eliminating the router and plugging the Premiere directly into your modem (adjusting settings as necessary).

Is it fast? Faster? Then you've narrowed the problem area to the router.

Same? Then it's something with the Premiere.

11. midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    Thanks for the help, now I have to try and figure out what line in my router config is holding up the Premiere but not the Series3.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    So plugging into the modem directly solved your speed problem with the Premiere?

13. midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    Yeah it did. YouTube streams fine and Netflix will do HD streams

14. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Try setting a static IP that wont get trampled on by your other users. For DNS re-enter your router/gateway IP, or if you have preferred DNS for your TiVo, use that...

FWIW, 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 are free DNS servers from Google.

15. midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    It ended up being a combination of ACLs on my WAN interface that was causing the issue. Did some slight modifications and now everything works fine.

16. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I've found Google DNS servers to be REALLY slow overall. Don't use them anymore.

17. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Great news. Saved you getting a $100/mo+ upgrade to a cable/fiber connection than can do 5-7MB/sec UPSTREAM like TiVo recommended. :)

18. midnightcharger

May 7, 2011
    No kidding. There was no way I was gonna get a 5-7 upload speed. Hell my ISP just started offering 50/5. They are working on kicking that up to 105/10. But that is way outta my price range.