Help upgrading

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DavidTigerFan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC

Advertisements

Hey guys. I've currently got a series 3 tivo that I use for the main TV watching. I also have a series 2 DT and a series 2 single tuner that I use for other TVs in the house. Now however, Comcast has switched my area to complete digital and requires DTAs in order to receive basic channels. I tried setting up my series 2 DT with it by repeating guided setup, but the tivo just keeps rebooting once I make it to the point where I tell it that I have a digital cable box.

So I figured this would be a good opportunity to just upgrade to Tivo HDs with cable cards. That way I won't have to worry about the stupid DTA and I can get HD on my HD TVs.

My question is though, if I buy a Tivo HD on ebay, can I set it up as another receiver and still get my 9.99 a month rate like i have on my 2 series2 models? Or is Tivo going to try to jam me into that stupid $14.99 a month plan.

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you replace an existing TSN with another, the rate stays the same. I've done that multiple times with my grandfathered $6.95 slots, which now hold a Premiere and an HD. If you add, then you should check the pricing on tivo.com or call to get specifics.

3. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Ahh ok, good. Thanks.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The DTAs are a pain to set up, but after they are set up, they work really well. The channel changes very quickly. I had to tell the Tivo I had both cable and satellite, because the Tivo wouldn't accept RF input when only cable was selected. After it was set up, I went back into channels and told it both lineups were wrong and then just selected cable. You might want to run kickstart 57 first if the Tivo is rebooting.