help! Unsub Premiere premiere no longer has any DVR functions after power surge

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dsnotgood, Dec 17, 2011.

1. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I have 2 premieres with lifetime and wanted a third for a room rarely used. I got one at bestbuy a few months back just to use as a dumb tuner to rewind,pause tv and it was working great.

I had a power surge today and now no DVR functions work. No rewind, no pause, no fast forward. Nothing. The light blinks on DVR but Nothing happens. Also the tv shows that were recorded on it during my initial trail also do not work correctly. They play but don't fast forward, rewind, pause

did my TiVo just break? It is connected to a cheap surge protector and I tried resetting multiple times.

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Can you check the software version? There was a software update this week. Maybe Tivo has changed the behavior of unsubbed DVRs.

3. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I'm wondering....can you even get an update on an unsubbed unit?

4. xsajohny

xsajohny New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    +1. They disabled the DVR functions with the latest update. I should have just unplugged the Ethernet - duh!

5. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    wow...can they even do that legally?

argh! Just the other day too I thought about unplugging the Ethernet too! Crap well this sucks...any way to revert to a older software??

did your DVR stop as well? It makes sense that it did it after a power surge. It must have downloaded the update recently and the power surge caused a reset prompting the install.

since I bought this within 30 days I'm going to bring it back to bestbuy and
    get another unit and just not plug in the Ethernet. Arghhhhh

6. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I have 14.9.2.2

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You bought something that's designed to connect to TiVo's servers if it has an active internet (or, I guess, telephone) connection, and to request what TiVos request when they talk to the servers.

You had it connected to the internet. It connected with the TiVo server, probably asked what time it is and got a clock reset data stream, probably asked for guide data and was turned down because no sub, but probably also said "any software updates available?", and the TiVo server wasn't configured to turn down that request because of sub status.

Your machine asked for it, as it's designed to do, so I'm guessing, yeah, pretty much legal.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Let me get this straight...

The 14.9.2.2 update turns an unsubbed Premiere into a complete brick where you can't even use it as a dumb cable box?

9. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    yes. Correct. You can still use it to watch tv but no more live buffer! Hell it doesn't even let you rewind or fast forward the recorded shows on there either!

10. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    What's the big deal on disabling pause/ff/rew for live TV? I don't consider that a show-stopper for unsubbed units, because that was always a freebie that you didn't have to have to watch TV anyway.

Sounds like it's NOT a brick, it just turns into a dumb cable box, which will still pay for itself vs. renting very quickly. Not worth getting all up in arms about, in other words.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No way to pause/FF/Rew? I might as well watch the FiOS TV channels from my Xbox 360's.
    I guess there are plenty of people that watch TV without a way to pause/ff/Rew, but personally I don't see the point. If I can't do that, then when you get interrupted you will miss part of the programming you are watching. And especially if a person is a sports fan, they want at the very least to be able to pause/ff/Rew.

12. justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Then pay TiVo to get a sub on your unit. Wow what a concept. End this thread plz.

13. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Whew! So it's not a brick.

That's fine as I use a Premiere on a 3rd TV just to be able to tune the channels. I hardly ever watch that TV, so I don't care about the extra Live TV features.

Also, it doesn's surprise me that TiVo did this. They just made the Premiere less attractive to people who plan to use it unsubbed. Since the TiVo Service is how TiVo makes it's money and not hardware sales, they are doing everything they can to get people to subscribe.
    I wonder if they plan to do this with the older platforms? I'm sure it would be easy to implement.

14. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A software update for older platforms?

Don't hold your breath.

They're still using the same kludge to deal with the Daylight Saving Time start and end date shift on S1s, and that's been 3 or 4 years now.

15. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I invoke apples and oranges.

You're talking about an update that TiVo couldn't care less about vs. one that could affect the bottom line.

And I stand by statement that it would be easy to implement. It could be a simple patch to the software for all we know.

Edit: After thinking about it, I think that TiVo won't do this to earlier platforms because they know that those units can be hacked, and the effort would be futile.

16. joblo

joblo Member

Jun 5, 2002
    What’s really funny is they still don’t seem to have fixed the hole that allows unsubbed units to make manual recordings. I have an unsubbed 14.9.2.2 Premiere that is happily making manual recordings on scanned channels for which it has no schedule info, but all I can do with them is play them straight through, because all the transport controls are disabled. What a PITA.

Still, the ability to use manual recording to do timed channel changes would be useful in a digital cable/OTA receiver that feeds other DVRs...

Why TiVo doesn’t simply brick the unsubbed units instead of playing these games is a mystery to me...

17. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    And I think I had a series 3 and SEries 4 also update without a subscription.

18. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    and see if it is a 14.9.2.2
    I know it worked as a time shifter digital tuner last time I had it plugged in without a subscription. You can't manually record though.

19. xsajohny

xsajohny New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    My quick fix - bought a used one on fleabay (sold the old one same way), set it up and removed the Ethernet cable (i.e. no updates). Happy unsubbed times again!

20. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    But when you changed it over to your local lineup didn't it quit recording manually?