Help troubleshooting

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rjbutler, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rjbutler

rjbutler ...

Mar 25, 2002
    If anyone can offer suggestions on this, I'd appreciate it.

I have two DirecTV Tivos (series 2). I get locals channels on the spot beam 72.5 satellite.

Last week we had a nasty thunderstorm and since then neither one can get a signal on the odd transponders on 101. Locals were fine.

I THINK it's the LNB. I swapped out the 4x4 multiswitch for my old 2x4 from before I had locals and nothing changed. I tested the voltage output from the Tivos as I switched between odd and even transponders and get both 13v and 18v.

I'm hoping it's as simple as buying a new dual LNB and (ugh) climbing up on the roof to replace the bad one.

Before I risk my neck three stories up, does anyone have any suggestions for other things to test?

Thanks,

Bob

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Last time I lost just the odd transponders, it was a corroded connector.

Check your connectors, one or more could have gotten wet with the rainstorm.

phox

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Try re-running Guided Setup on both units.

I had a simlilar problem on one of my units after a bad Thunderstorm. That fixed up the problem.

Could also be a Bad LNB or Multiswitch. But since you switched out the Multiswitch and tested that, most probally is a bad LNB.

4. rjbutler

rjbutler ...

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the connections and then try swapping the LNB.

Would the dish for the 72.5 sat typically have just a single LNB? I seem to remember that that's the case.

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes the Dish for the 72.5 Sat has a Single LNB. You can have a Twin LNB model, but that is for the 72.5 and 99 Sats.