Help! Tried to access by HTTPS. Now file is currupted.

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by garybeck, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1 of 11
    garybeck

garybeck New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    I was having trouble transferring files from the TIVO to my computer and someone suggested using my browser instead of the Tivo software. I was able to see the files on my Tivo using HTTPS. I had to use the name of my Tivo and my key number (or something like that) to get in.

Anyway, I only clicked on one file. I wasn't sure what would happen, if it would try to transfer, or what. but nothing really happened. I can't really remember if the browser froze, but I think it did. It's been a while since that happened.

Now I seem to have the regular transfer process going OK, (although it takes a long time...). However, that one file that I just touched by https access seems currupted. I can watch it on the TIVO, no problem. But when I open the Tivo To Go Desktop (v2.2), in the spot where that program is, it says "Details unavailable" and I can't download it. :eek:

I'm so bummed because the file is the entire Live 8 concert that took place a couple months ago, 5 hours of great music from all over the world. I really want to transfer it to DVD so I can clear up some space on my Tivo.

If anyone knows what I did when I touched it with my browser and how I can fix it, I'd be very grateful.

I have tried rebooting my Tivo but that doesn't work.

thanks
    gary in vermont

2. Rhindle

Rhindle New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Medway, MA
    I doubt you messed up anything with your browser. Try wiping out the Tivo Desktop cache (files are in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache) and see if that helps.

3. garybeck

garybeck New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    thanks for the tip. i deleted my cache but I still see "details unavailable" for the file. any other ideas or should I give up and delete the file? :(

4. thejdog

thejdog New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Yea I'm getting the Details Unavailable for a recording I did also. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't like the titles or something. I don't know, but I've only been using it for about 3 days, so I'm still considered a newbie at tivotogo.

5. thejdog

thejdog New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Ok, I just went into Server Properties, put the Performance up, forgot I was testing with the Preformance slider, and put it back to Medium. After that I exited TiVo Desktop and then cleared the cache.

That enabled me to stop seeing the "Details Unavailable" in the Pick Recordings to Transfer area.

6. garybeck

garybeck New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Huh? where is this "server properties" thing, and where is the "performance slider"? Sorry, I need some help finding what you're talking about.

thanks

7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Usually you have to restart the TivoTransfer.exe executable to get the clear cache to take. Normally the steps are to kill TiVoTransfer.exe, then clear out the cache directory and then restart TiVoTransfer.exe.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 11
    garybeck

garybeck New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    where is this tivotransfer.exe file? are you saying to delete it?

maybe I just need to resintall the whole tivo application? would that make things simpler?

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 11
    garybeck

garybeck New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    UPDATE--
    I uninstalled Tivo Desktop and reinstalled it. The program is still showing "details unavailable". ARGGGGGGGGGG!

10. morlando

morlando New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I was having the same problem, what I did that finally fixed it was installed uninstall Tivo Desktop 2.2, then installed Tivo Desktop 1.3 and then installed 2.2 again and that seemed to reset something and now it's back to normal, try that and see if that works

11. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    TiVoTransfer.exe is an executable. If you open your Task Manager it will be on the processes page. Right click on it and click "End Process" and then click ok. After that clear out your Tivo Desktop cache (location in post above) and then reboot.

If it's still locked after that you can try rebooting the TiVo.

You can also try running Galleon to transfer the file over from the TiVo.