Help! Tivo remote in LR turns on kitchen tv w/Comcast box!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Corrine460, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Corrine460

Corrine460 New Member

Feb 23, 2017

Advertisements

I recently remodeled my kitchen and added a Samsung tv with a Comcast box. The kitchen is now open to the dining room, and the dining room/living room form an open L shape. You can't see the kitchen from the LR.

When I sit on my LR couch and turn on/change the channel on my Tivo Premiere box, the Tivo remote not only changes my Sharp LR TV connected to the Tivo, it turns on my Samsung in the kitchen!

(My Tivo does have a Comcast cable card.) I'd love to drop Comcast but live in a highrise with an HOA that includes it so there you have it.

Any ideas for a fix are appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you have white(ish) walls? because they could reflect the IR signals around and the remote codes may be matching between the TVs.

You could cover the TV's Remote window, you would not be watching on, with something thick like cardboard.

3. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Sharp: 0375, 0361, 0151, 0011, 0020, 0025, 0028, 0033, 0034, 0077, 0132, 0154, 0235, 0236

Samsung: 0305, 0306, 0001, 0007, 0012, 0051, 0035, 0092, 0096, 0104, 0107, 0118, 0124, 0128, 0132, 0145, 0176, 0177, 0221, 0230 ,0393

These are the TV remote codes for each of the brands and it looks like 0132 is in both.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Does the Samsung TV turn on when you press TV Power on your TiVo remote, when you change channels from your TiVo remote, or both?

5. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal

Advertisements

This is an easy fix. Set each TiVo and their corresponding remotes to a different Remote Address. Here is how to do it:

IMPORTANT: If you have a TiVo Slide remote and you remove the USB receiver, its remote address will be set to 0. A remote that has an address of 0 can control any TiVo DVR within its range. If you have two TiVo DVRs in the same room, make sure the USB receiver for the Slide remote is always installed in the USB port of the DVR that you want to control with it.

To control two TiVo DVRs with separate remotes
    1. Cover the IR window of the second DVR. To identify where this area is located watch your DVR when you push a button on your remote. An amber light will flash, indicating the area you will need to cover.
    2. Make sure both remotes are in IR Mode:
      • To enter IR mode, press and hold the TiVo+Red C buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights. The remote remains in IR mode until you manually put the remote into RF mode (see: TiVo Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions.
    3. Using one of the TiVo remotes, navigate to the System Information screen:

BOLTS Series UES's
      From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Help > Account and System Info > System Information

Roamio Series and Premiere Series DVRs and TiVo Mini
      From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account and System Info > System Information

Series3 and earlier DVRs
      From TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Account and System Information > System Information

Once at the System Information screen, scroll down by pressing the Chan Down button until you see Remote Address.

1. Hold down the TiVo+Pause buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
    2. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1–9 (1–3 on a Sony). We recommend entering a 1. The remote LED will flash, but the screen will not update.
    3. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit you entered on the screen. You have now programmed this remote control and this DVR to operate on channel 1. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
    4. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central.
    5. Cover the IR window of the first DVR, and uncover the second one. Use the other TiVo remote to navigate to the System Information screen of the second DVR and scroll down until you see Remote Address.
    6. Hold down the Pause+TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
    7. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1–9 (1–3 on a Sony) except the number you entered on the first DVR. We recommend entering a 2. The remote LED will flash.
    8. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit on the screen. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
    You have now programmed both DVRs and both remotes to respond to a different code.

NOTE: To prevent a remote address from changing accidentally, do not leave either DVR on the System Information screen.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This would work if there are at least 2 Tivos in the OP's location but there is just 1. It also is just the TVs.

7. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    Oops, my mistake!