HELP: tivo premier 4 xl + lifetime destroyed. replacement options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by oldcar cforum, Apr 8, 2018.

1. oldcar cforum

oldcar cforum New Member

Apr 8, 2018

Advertisements

My house burned down last october 8. My tivo 4 xl with lifetime support was destroyed in the fire.

Old house I had OTA and streaming. New house has Comcast and streaming.

Need good recommendations to get me tivo'ing again.

some thoughts;
    1) seek replacement directly from tivo support?
    2) buy another premier from amazon or ebay, transfer/activate at tivo support and transfer lifetime?
    3) buy latest loaded tivo box from amazon or ebay (with lifetime?), transfer activate at tivo support.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I would call TiVo first and see what they may be able to do for you, I definitely would mention the fire (so sorry for you and I hope that everyone is ok!) and would even offer to provide proof of the loss. TiVo has been known to offer deals over the phone, and for Lifetimers with a loss.

Personally, I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade (and you also can try Hydra out--but with the option to fall back to the Gen3 UI). If TiVo doesn't offer a deal, I don't know if you can wait until Nov., when TiVo has had deals the past few years (and who knows if there might be something before then).

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I assume your insurance is paying for a roamio, if not a bolt?

Would also call tivo, do you have a picture of the totaled unit?

4. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Transferring lifetime is very unlikely to happen. I had mine destroyed in a lightning strike and they offered nothing. Some lifetimes are cut short by disaster rather than old age.

If you can afford to wait a potentially long period of time, TiVo periodically offers a sale to transfer for $99 but you can never bet on when they might offer again. And the last one was only good for transferring from a Premier.

5. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

Insurance will use a third party service to value the S4XL at today's market rates and add the value to the claim total. You should be able to get them to value one with lifetime.

6. oldcar cforum

oldcar cforum New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Being classified a national disaster, Allstate insurance paid at maximum coverage without itemization. Well done Allstate! Thank God my family and close neighbors got out alive. My home, contents and autos were reduced to a large pile of rubble and ash hauled away by Army corps of engineers contractor.

1) Will contact Tivo first to see what they offer sounds optimal.
    3) Taking the opportunity to upgrade to the best current Tivo available is a reasonable suggestion. Found a number of 3-4TB Roamio's with transferable lifetime for 3-$400.

thanks for the help fellow T'vrs.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    *Personally*, I don't find a sufficient value delta in the BOLT series relative to the Roamio Plus when it comes to cable tuning, so my first suggestion would be to begin scanning eBay or this site's auction/sales forums for 6-tuner Roamio Plus or Pro models that include Lifetime/All-In service -- expanding to non-Lifetime'd units if TiVo is willing to transfer service from your fried Premiere.

p.s. If you were tuning OTA with your previous DVR, it was a Series 4 Premiere XL. (i.e. not a Premiere 4 XL, since the 4XL is a 4-tuner model only able to tune/record from cable)