HELP!!! Stuck on the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by insidetheknow, Jan 18, 2006.

1. insidetheknow

insidetheknow New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    I am stuck on the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen.

TiVo help line says I need to pay 150 for a replacement unit. Is there another way??

Please help. :(

2. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
  3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    To help you we really need more info about your machine. Lifetime subscription? Manufacturer and model number. Original or upgraded hard drive? Current Tivo software version if known. Have you tried anything at all to remedy the situation other than looking at the Tivo website?

4. insidetheknow

insidetheknow New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Lifetime subscription?
    YES

Manufacturer and model number.
    TIVO SERIES 2, 40GB

Original or upgraded hard drive?
    ORIGINAL

Current Tivo software version if known.
    NO IDEA. Just died today. Whatever version is the most recent that they push out to the TiVo is what I probably have.

Have you tried anything at all to remedy the situation other than looking at the Tivo website?
    YES. I unplugged the machine and waited 1 minute, then plugged it back in. I did this a few times.

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Probably the hard drive. If you are not up to tackling replacement yourself the best bet is to call TiVo and arrange for a replacement with lifetime transferred to it. Last time I checked this cost $79.

6. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Check the links below in my signature for help on the upgrade. As Stan said, you will need to get an image since you aren't going to be able to make a backup of your dead drive. Check the link that stan posted or get an image from PTVupgrade (forum sponsor) for $19.99. There are still some really good deals out there on hard drives, so you will at least be able to double your recording capacity if not more. Just make sure you get a PATA 100/133 drive and not Serial ATA. Good luck.