Help, Should i get a Mini or Vox?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by alyssa, Dec 13, 2017.

1. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal

Advertisements

I've been out of the tivo bleeding edge for a while but still have 2 Premiere Roamio's & 2 tv's a 1080p 55' in the living room and a 36' 720p in the bedroom. We got a $300 buck 55" 4k walmart black friday special. I'd like to replace the bedroom 36" in the bedroom with the new 55".

I want to move the old 36" to the Kiddo's (18 year old) room. That room has no cat5 or coax. We anticipate the kid moving out within 6+ months and taking the 36" tv with him. He will not be taking a tivo with him.

I'm looking for the simplest & cheapest way of hooking up the 36" into the tivo's. I'm also somewhat interested in up'ing the premiere Roamio output to 4K. I do not want to buy lifetime on a new box.

do i buy a VOX mini for the bedroom new 4K tv, then run cabling(coax & cat 5) into the Kiddo's room with one of the premieresRoamio?
    do i buy a mini & put it on the 36" ? if so can i get away with just a cat 5?
    He streams mostly whatever service we're currently using (hulu or netflix or cbsaa) but there are some show's on cable that he watches. Could i just get a Roku stick?
    Like i said, i've been out of the game for a while- Thanks in advance for any thought time & direction!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You could buy a TiVo Mini and a wireless bridge (Mini's don't directly support wireless streaming from the host) or instead of wireless bridge use Powerline adapters with the Mini (I do the latter which works well in our house).

How are your Roamio's connected to your network?

Scott

3. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    wired

i'm inclined to just buy the new 4k vox- it's the most expencive but future proof. I'd put that on the 4k tv &
    but then cheaping out would be easier on the pocket book ;)
    I had not thought of a wireless bridge- thank you- yes, that would be really nice since there's no wires into the kid's room

edit: can i use the wireless bridge on a roamio?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Is your router fast & powerful? That's important. The wireless bridge is something that converts Ethernet to a WiFi signal. It doesn't care what it's plugged into. But that wireless signal has to reach the router in a reliable fashion. You control the wires. You don't control the environment so much. If Powerline fails, then think about wireless. Running Cat-5 or Cat-6 would be better and probably cheaper.