HELP setting up a WIFI USB adapter!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jpe118, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005

Advertisements

So I finally hooked up my Humax 800 DVDr unit. I don't have a land line in my house so I needed to first use a neighbors phone line (done this morning) and then (((hopefully))) hook up the unit via the USB port in the back to my home cable modem.

I DO NOT have a home network (yet).

What I do have is an unsecured wifi signal in my house (found out when friends visited and connected via their wifi enabled laptop).

SO: I bought a D-Link DWL-G122 wireless USB adapter. The idea is: that I can latch into this unsecured wifi and use that INSTEAD of a phone line.

Since I am not going over my home network (via my computer)- It's very up in the air as to if this is even possible. Upon initial try- I couldn't get the HUmax unit to recognize the USB adapter- but I didn't have much time... so I will try again this afternoon.

Anyone with any thoughts on this? How it can happen???

If it's not possible.... I want to go ahead and get my MAC hooked up with wifi. So... the next question is: THOSE WITH MACS.... how do you have your network set up?

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You cannot use the USB port on the back of a cable or DSL modem.. You can use only one of the supported adapters to connect to your network, throug your computer or a router.

You can use serial PPP, or one of the wired or B adapters until 7.2.1 is picked up by your box, then use your G adapter.
    Be sure You have correct HW version A2 of that adapter, or it won't work.

3. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I'm not doing that- I'm plugging the adapter directly into the back of the Humax tivo unit. If it doesn't work... I could buy a usb adapter.... but i'm not at that point yet.

This is where you lost me.

7.2.1 is picked up by my box.... that's a tivo version, correct? So basically.... you think i may need to hardwire the box into my network (with a usb router)- d/l the latest version... and then i can use my adapter (BY "G" you mean, the DWL-G122?).

what is HW version? I guess I need to check the box to see if it's version A2.

4. Mean150

Mean150 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Having a problem with connecting my humax drt800 to my existing home network. My main question is does the router make a difference. I have a netgear wgt624 version2 router currently. I had bought the linksys usb200m but tivo says it is not supported. I am looking at the wireless adapter that linksys sells and I know I can only get versions 2.6,2.8, or 3.0 for my system. So I am taking back the linksys usb200m adapter and I have nothing else to go with at the monent. ANY suggestions would be great

5. sschr

sschr New Member

Jun 20, 2005

Advertisements

I have found that using the recommeded USB adapters, I was able to connect to my home wireless network. The trick is to find one that is still being sold, that will work with the particular model you have. I am connected at the 802.11b level now, but I noticed that Tivo is now making a 802.11g adapter that works with all Series 2 DVR's. I ordered one yesterday. I will let you all know how it works.