Help - Series2 in reboot cycle, how to save programming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gordon918, Dec 7, 2011.

1. gordon918

gordon918 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    I have a Series2 Tivo (TCD24004A) that I upgraded the drive to 250GB a few years ago. Well after a power failure the tivo now reboots every time it gets to the main screen and is stuck in a loop.

So I figure the disk is now damaged or got corrupted. I'm somewhat familiar with mfstools and pulled the disk out and was able to read mfsinfo from the disk. So I'm thinking that some file just got damaged. But there was a LOT of programming on the disk and my wife will be very unhappy if it's all lost.

What's the easiest way to either copy everything onto a new disk? Or failing that make a fresh disk and then copy over my existing programs?

Or am I just out of luck?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If the damage is limited to the OS partition, running a kickstart 52 may get it running long enough to use kmttg or Desktop to copy your shows. You could also try duplicating the entire disk with dd_rescue and then forcing an OS reinstall.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

I don't think there's any way to just copy the shows to a freshly built disk.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What do you have lying around in the way of spare hard drive?

Do you still have the original 40GB hard drive?

Go to mfslive.org and download the image for the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn yourself a copy, and also download the program WinMFS from there.

Then get back to me.

And if you plan to do the work on a computer with a GigaByte brand motherboard, say so, 'cause there are extra precautions to be taken with them.

4. gordon918

gordon918 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Thanks for suggestions guys. I think I'll first make a complete backup of the existing disk and then try experiments on a copy. Plus I suspect the original disk is probably on its last legs anyway.

I've got multiple IDE drives laying around including a 500GB one.

And I've downloaded the MFS live cd and WinMFS. What's the next step?

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8707432#post8707432

has images for the 24008A that'll work in your machine if necessary, but will require a drive at least as large as the 80GB they came from and it was a Maxtor with a larger LBA number than 80GB Western Digitals of the same era.

But first, install WinMFS on a Windows machine. If it's Vista or 7 you'll need to be running as administrator or with admin privileges for WinMFS to be able to see the drive.

Hook up the drive from the TiVo, open WinMFS, select that drive, click on mfsinfo, and see if it says you're booting from 3 and 4 or 6 and 7. If it gives any other numbers that's probably the problem right there.

There's an option called fixboot or bootfix or something like that, with option 1, which sets the boot to 3 and 4, and option 2, which sets it to 6 and 7, regardless of where it is.

Whichever one you're set for, select option 1 or 2 to change to the other pair, and then also run the fix swap option.

Then try it in the TiVo.

Report back.

If that fixes it we'll probably want to go ahead and copy to another drive just to be on the safe side.

6. gordon918

gordon918 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Thanks Unitron.

Okay I downloaded WinMFS and was able to view the disk. According to mfsinfo it's booting from 6 and 7.

I tried option 1 (3 and 4) but this didn't make a difference - the tivo still goes through 'powering up' then 'just a few minutes more' and then reboots a second into the tivo animation. I also tried the fix swap option but this didn't help either.

I also copied the disk using mfscopy to a same-sized disk and it also reboots during the animation sequence. A tivo image I downloaded does fully boot so I'm pretty sure that that the Tivo unit itself is okay and there's some kind of data corruption on the original disk.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you've got a lot of spare hard drives handy, at least one the same size as the one giving trouble, you can try loading the good image to a different drive, cloning the problem drive to another the same size or larger, and then using dd_rescue to copy/overwrite partitions 2-9 from the good image drive to the clone (thus protecting the original), and see if the problem was in partitions 2-9.

Or, load the image to a same size as the original drive and expand so as to get as many MFS partitions as the troubled drive at the same size as on the troubled drive, and then dd_rescue the MFS partitions over from the problem drive to the drive with the good non-MFS partitions from the image, and see if the problem is in the MFS partitions.

It could be that there's a bad spot right where the intro animation is. Unfortunately, I don't know on which partition that's located.