Help: Remove TiVo from Alexa

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cwoody222, Jan 12, 2019.

1. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I've researched this in Alexa forums with no luck; hoping maybe there's a TiVo-specific thing going on.

A few months ago I attempted to replace my TiVo Mini with a new TiVo Mini Vox. I could not get the 4K to work with my cables/TV so I returned it. I used the Mini Vox for all of a weekend. During that weekend, I did set it up with my Alexa setup, using the Alexa integration available within TiVo.

The Mini Vox is no longer in my household. It's no longer associated with my TiVo account on TiVo.com. It's not connected to my Alexa account via the TiVo Skill. It doesn't show up when I open the "Works with Alexa" app on my TiVo Roamio. I even removed all IFTTT TiVo apps in case that was connected (I don't think it was).

BUT... my Alexa still "discovers" the "mini vox" device almost every day even after I forget/delete/disable it. It just always comes back. It doesn't harm anything but my OCD wants it gone and gone forever.

I've read in Alexa forums about the difficulty of getting Alexa to "forget" devices successfully and I've had similar problems with Hue bulbs that I've been able to solve. But this one, I can't figure out.

Is there anywhere else that I'm not thinking of that Alexa could be detecting the "mini vox" that I need to remove?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Did you go into your Alexa app and try to remove there as well?

3. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes I’ve removed it from the Alexa app on my phone and iPad and web interface many many times. It always comes back.

4. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Have you tried unlinking your Tivo account from Alexa and relinking? Basically disable the Tivo skill in the Alexa, delete the device from Alexa (if still there) and do a discover to make sure it’s gone. Then re-enable the skill and then go through setup again. Not sure if that will help, but if it comes back then something is wrong on TiVo’s end.

5. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I’m not sure if I tried that, maybe I did?

If I do that, will I be able to re-link? Will I need a new code from the app on my TiVo and will it give me one?

But wait, this is something I haven’t found before. If I ask the Skill to add another device, the Mini Vox is there. (see pic)

It doesn’t go away if I Discover again. Is there a way to get rid of it there or should I just try to delete the whole skill? (I just don’t want to have to contact TiVo to get another code to set it up again)

Attached Files:

6. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Theoretically you should be able to link the skill back up again using a new code from the app on the Tivo, but that depends on whether or not things are working.

At this point the skill is linking your Amazon and Tivo accounts. If Tivo coded the skill correctly, then the settings should only show TiVo’s on your account. If they didn’t it could be caching an old Tivo. It’s also possible that the Tivo box wasn’t actually removed in their back end system.

Either way it might be best to simply ignore the box rather than make things worse and not be able to control the Tivo boxes you own.

7. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I followed the instructions here to disable and re-enable everything.
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/E...y-unpair-and-repair-Alexa-on-TiVo-Alexa-Reset

I signed out of all devices while I was doing it (except the device I was using to follow the instructions) and even threw a TiVo reboot in there for good measure. (I unplugged the other one to ensure no phantom discovery could happen)

When I re-enable with a new code on the TiVo, all 3 devices appear again... including the "mini vox" which I haven't owned in months.

It must be on TiVo's end somewhere.

It's not in my account when I sign in to TiVo.com. It's weird, it was originally purchased by my father on his account, then we transferred it to me, and then when we returned it, it had to be transferred back to him to get his refund. So I know it's off my account. But, it remains somehow.

Oh well, it's not hurting anything, just annoying to see it in the list forever and ever.