HELP - Popping and Sound Cutting Out...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 10_pearljam, May 28, 2007.

1. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005

Advertisements

Last night I was viewing the TiVo and the audio started making a popping sound and cutting out sporadically...i switched all the cables, went directly to the tv...still continued to do it. I hooked my DVD player straight to the TV to see if it was the TV and it was fine. I went direct cable into the TV to see if it was the TV and it was fine. As soon as I hooked the TiVo back up...popping and cutting...

This morning it was fine...

Thoughts?!?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Just my standard response.

Reboot!

3. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    i tried that too (i think...) didn't help...

when you reboot you do so by unplugging and starting over...right? or is there something special i need to do?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The reboot is the power cycling method. You can also do a restart by going into the messages & setup menu.

Can you connect the TiVo to a different TV as a check?

5. Jun 4, 2007 #5 of 11
    10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005

Advertisements

It does it sporadically. What I did do is hook a DVD Player directly to the same jack the TIVO was in as the TIVO was acting up as well as a CD Player and both of those were fine. When I plugged the TIVO back in, it started acting up again.

I called and the girl on the phone seemed to think something was up with the hard drive. So I think I need to pay $149.99 to get a new one and then send the old one back...

6. Jul 8, 2007 #6 of 11
    10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    anyone have this happen? i just went a month without this happening at all and it just started again.

7. Jul 9, 2007 #7 of 11
    fziegler

fziegler New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    My tivo has been doing this for a couple of years now. Through a lot of experimentation I've determined that this problem occurrs when the tivo is too cool. I know that seems backwards as most electrical problems occur when something is too hot, but I've tried heating it up and cooling it down and the sound problems occur when the tivo is too cool. I've discoverd that if I remove the cover and unplug the tivo's cooling fan (and keep the cover off) that the tivo runs at about 50C which is hot enough to work correctly. I've been running with the cover off and fan unplugged for about 18 months now and everything has been working fine.

8. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    too cool...hmmmm. right now it is fine, but the next time it acts up, i will try that. is it possible that it is neither too cool or too hot and that the fan interferes with the hard drive?

thanks for the input!!!

:up:

9. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I've actually had a couple of hard drives in PCs over the years that were flaky when they were cold and then worked OK once the power had been applied for a while and they warmed up.

10. fziegler

fziegler New Member

Jan 26, 2004

It is not the fan interfering with the hard drive: before I removed the cover and unplugged the fan, I used to stuff a blanket around the opening in the cabinet where the was to cut off the air flow to the tivo and allow it to heat up. In this case, the fan was still running but just couldn't get any cool air.

Also, I've noticed that if the tivo is cool when the program is recorded, the popping sounds are in the recording and will be heard during playback no matter what the tivo temperature is. So if you hear the popping while watching a show, you need to consider what the tivo temperature was at the time that it was recorded -- not the current tivo temperature.

11. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I noticed that as well...

The last two times it happened to me, it was relatively humid out...I'm thinking maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure.

However, I have a Series 2 with a lifetime membership, the offered to transfer my membership to another Series 2, but I much rather pay a little extra and upgrade to a Dual Tuning HD...