Help Please, Very Strange 1G Router Problem??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by supie, Jan 23, 2015.

1. supie

supie Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

Tivo Stream and Transfer Issues:

Equipment: Five Tivo Devices, Four Mobile Devices, 1 Gigabyte Router, all hardwired via Cat 5 Ethernet In House cabling.

I installed a new Netgear R6250 1 Gigabyte router and my Tivo’s started having problems.

One Tivo only in my Office (within 3’ from Router)
    • Streams are very slow: Can not play, keeps giving error messages.
    • Transfers are very slow: Runs at .98mbs takes over 53 minutes to stream a 30 minute show, verses 80.7mbs, which took 4.37 minutes for the same HD Best Quality show on Bedroom to Living Room transfer.
    Two Tivos, Living Room Roamio Pro & Bedroom XL4:
    • Multi-Room Streams and Transfers are fine.
    • iPad Streams and Transfer very slow or does not work.
    Tivo Desktop, on Windows 7 and/or 8:
    •Tivo Roamio to Desktop very slow then stops transferring.

I tried everything (see list below) but nothing worked until as a last resort I reinstalled the old Router (Belkin FSD7234A) 10/100, 2.4Mh.

Wala …. everything works again.

I have checked all the router settings and cannot find any settings which seem to be causing the problems.
    I have connected the Office XL4 Tivo with Cat 6 directly to the new 1G router, still does not work.

Questions: Why does the new 1GB router cause the slowness on one Tivo but not the others? What is stopping iPad streaming and the Tivo Desktops from working?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Steps Tried to Solve (with 1GB Router Installed):
    1. ReStart/Reset Tivo
    2. Power down Start Up.
    3. Power cycle Router, Hubs, Switches, and all Tivos, at same time.
    4. Installed all new Ethernet cables between Router and Office Tivo.
    5. Checked other Transfer and Stream timing on other Tivo’s and computers.
    6. Ran Speedtest.net. Results = 66.12Mbps download, 4.34Mbps upload.
    7. Ran Tutosoft.com to test LAN Speed. Results = 428.9Mbps Write, 608.2Mbps Read.
    8. Changed Network IP Address, changed Static to Dynamic
    9. Checked Router firewall settings.
    10. Checked Router for the proper ports being open.
    11. Connected Office Tivo directly to Router with new Ethernet cable.
    12. Verify Media Access Key.
    13. Called Tivo Support, but they could not help me.
    14. Reinstall Original Router.

Added Edit: Jan 25, 2015
    15. The Router firmware was verified to be up to date.
    16. I have tried all four ports on the router.
    17. All five Tivo devices are on fixed IP addresses and I changed the Office Tivo to a different fixed IP address and then to the DHCP address pool and back to the fixed address.
    18. Compared the third octet of the IP address of all my Tivo Devices and Mobile Devices and all my computers they are all the same.

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Firmware update? Check to see if there's a firmware update for the router that needs to be applied.

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    There must be an unmentioned switch somewhere in this network. The TiVo that was slow have you tried simply connecting it to a different port. While rare it's not unheard of for a router/switch to have a bad port.

4. 2001brg149

2001brg149 New Member

Apr 27, 2008
  5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

And as always, fixed IP addresses lying outside the router's DHCP address pool for everything that doesn't travel might help, can't hurt.

6. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    It may be that the slow TiVo is not negotiating a 1 gigabit link when the Netgear router is directly connected.

The router could be assigning hardwired hosts to a different subnet than the WiFi handheld devices.

Compare the third octet of the IP address of an hardwired TiVo to a handheld device on the same WiFi router.

7. supie

supie Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks to all with your suggestions.

To worachj, the firmware was verified to be up to date.
    To PCurry57, I have tried all four ports on the router.
    To 2001brg149, the firmware was verified to be up to date.
    To Unitron, All 5 Tivo devices are on fixed IP addresses and I changed the Office Tivo to a different fixed IP address and then to the DHCP address pool and back to the fixed address.
    To StevesWeb, I have compared the third octet of the IP address of all my Tivo Devices and Mobile Devices and all my computers they are all the same. Also all my Tivo Devices are hardwired.

All good suggestions but all these issues check out ok.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Supie

8. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Not going to be much help. LAN speed problems. I would check that everything; cables, switches, hubs and router are theoretically capable of 1000BASE-T, otherwise there may be speed negotiating problems. For testing purposes eliminate anything that's slower.

I would think everything should be set to auto-detect.
    I would turn on your router’s log and check for problems.
    Check the port QoS settings.
    When you do your Cat6 cable test, try disconnecting the ethernet cables from the other ports, see if that helps. One port, one device no other switches or hubs, have only one direct connection.
    Are you using VPN? If so try turning it off.

Since your old router still works it seems to me that it’s a 1000BASE-T problem with cables/switches/hubs.

9. supie

supie Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks to worachj, for your suggestions

Response from Supie: The problem Tivo Elite was connected directly to the router via a brand new 3 foot Cat 6 cable, still same problem.

Checked Log nothing relates to the problem.

The port QoS settings are Not Set up.
    Disconected Ethernet cables on other ports, no change.

Not using VPN.

Possible problem with 1000BASE-T problem with cables/switches/hubs. I agree but since the problem Tivo Elite was connected directly to the router so there are not any 1000BASE-T problems with cables/switches/hubs.

See my next posts for Work Around

10. supie

supie Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Solved sort of? (Work Around but never solved original issue)

I found another 1 Gigabyte Router I could try, a DLink Dir-825. Installed and found it has the same problem as the Netgear R6250 1 Gigabyte Router, which is Transfers are very slow.

Considering there is nothing except the router, a 3’ Cat 6 cable and the problem Tivo, I have eliminated all other possibilities and now that I have tried 2 routers, 2 Cat 6 cables what else is left except the problem Tivo?

So it must be that using gigabyte routers are causing the problem Tivo to slow down (remember when I switched back to the old 10/100 router the problem Tivo works fine) so my conclusion is the problem Tivo has a defective Ethernet port or an Ethernet card problem?

So I believe the solution would be to exchange the problem Tivo. (I have the extended warranty) I really do not want to do this since there is over 321 shows on this Tivo, it is a lot or work, and still may not solve the problem.

My workaround solution was adding a second router setup as a LAN-to-WAN network. I put all my computers, mobile devices on the Netgear Gigabyte Router and took the old Belkin 54G Router and made it a Tivo only router, connected each Tivo to the old Belkin 54G router ports.

All my problems were solved by connecting all the Tivos to the 54G Router.

Question: I still have not found a good solution (so I could have only the Gigabyte Router handle all the Tivos). Still looking for ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Supie

11. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I doubt its a 1gb router problem. I have a 1gb Trendnet AC router that goes to a 1bg switch which the Tivo is plugged into along with my PlayStation, Xbox and receiver. All function fine.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a strange problem with the R7500. First, here is what I told the Netgear person on AVS Forum:
    Hey Bob. Has anyone reported strange happenings with Dynamic QoS enabled? I seem to have a problem. I have a fairly slow interface: 5Mbs down and 1Mbs up. I've had that for a while. Also, my ISP is having problems keeping up at peak use times. So my normal download speed for the past two years has been about 4.85Mbs. Upload has always been .95 or better. So, while checking the log I enabled Dynamic QoS and ran the Ookla test. It gave me 5.02Mbs which seemed good. After a few days I tested with the online Ookla speed test and saw only 4Mbs or less. But upstream has never been below .95 except at night where it might fall down to .89. I've been watching the speed and it seems good, or better at 4Mbs at night then slowing down to 3.5 or below as the day goes on. I ran the test this morning on my laptop which uses 802.11ac and it was at 3.90 so I wasn't expecting much. Then I went into the router and printed my log and device map. While there I ran the Ookla test and it was 5.01Mbs. ?? So I disabled Dynamic QoS. I went back to the PC's test and it was 4.96Mbs. This has to be weird. I was going to call my ISP on Monday and spend $11 more a month for 25Mbs down so I could get above 4Mbs. Now, I'm really worried. Can you see if I'm crazy? It takes about a day for the R7500 to learn my speed then all my stuff slows down. I have two wired devices and 6 wireless, all on 5GHz. Anything I should do?
    Bottom line: Dynamic QoS turned off in the router. Use the Router for speed tests and if they are much faster than other Ookla tests, keep QoS off. I hate to say it, but I never could get the Roamio WiFi to be reliable. I am using an ASUS EA-N66R adapter on my Roamio and Sony Blu-ray. A wired interface is not an option for me. I also have a Mini connected with the TiVo AN0100 adapter. No problems. I always get 80Mbps or better inside the house. Even Desktop is happy. It's a great router otherwise.

13. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Have you tried setting up QoS for the port that the tivo is on and setting it to the highest priority?