Help Please: R10 or R15??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SolZer, Jan 20, 2006.

1. SolZer

SolZer New Member

Jan 20, 2006

Advertisements

So, I am a long time TiVo user, and my Series2 40hr just died. Anyway, I recently got DirecTV and am looking at the R10 and the R15. I've heard nothing but negative reviews about the R15, so I am skeptical to say the least. I'm interested in everyones opinion on if I have a choice, which unit should I get, the R10 or the R15?

Much Thanks.

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    You're asking in the wrong place!

Obviously, if you ask in a TiVo forum, the answer is R10. If you ask in a D*DVR forum, the answer is R15. You have to form your own opinion. It's the weekend. Go to BB or CC and play with the R15 if they have one (most seem to have them now). Form your own opinion.

After all, you wouldn't go into a Ford showroom and ask if you're better to buy a Ford or a Chevy, would you?

3. SolZer

SolZer New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I appreciate your response, but there ARE plenty of people on here that have experience with the R15. I am very interested in the TiVo users opinion, since up to this point I am a TiVo user myself.

The main things that would steer me away from the R15 are bugs and overall problems where the unit does not perform as designed. If the R15 is junk, TiVo or no TiVo, I will go the R10 route even tho it's an older model.

Much Thanks.

4. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    SolZer:

The R10 uses TiVo's software, which has been in development for 5 years, and is at version 6.1 (on the R10).
    The R15 was build custom for DirecTV and is at version 1.09f. (or possibly a little later)

Plenty of bugs.
    It's improving, but it's still very young.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106 <-- dbstalk, a partner site with an R15 forum.

H

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

I would say if you are a LONG time TiVo user...Then the R10 is the way to go.

I very much enjoy the R15, but it definently has a major learning curves.
    The Bugs are being fixed, and it should be a much better product in the up comming features.

Plus the future features announced are going to be for the R15 line of DVRs...

There are PLENTY of positive things to say about the R15s... problem is the negatives are there as well...

Do check the www.dbstalk.com forum for some additional discussion.

6. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Just fix your current unit. Get you some instant cake and a new HD and you're 10 minutes away.

7. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I take it that SolZer is a SA user looking to migrate to a DirecTV DVR. Is that right SolZer?

I would agree about fixing the unit though and in the process upgrading to a 160G or higher hard drive, especially if it's a SA w/ Lifetime.

8. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    You're right. Upon a second reading I see that he says he has recently switched to DTV.