Help Please Green screen severe failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by DiFontaine, Dec 10, 2006.

1. DiFontaine

DiFontaine New Member

May 15, 2004

Advertisements

Hi there
    Using TIVO today and it seems to keep powering up and then a grren screen saying severe failure, do not disconnect as the receiver is trying to resolve the problem.

It was working fine last night but doesn't seem happy today.

Any ideas whats wrong and how I sort it?

Thanks

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Has it been upgraded?
    If so how long ago?

Most likely cause of the "Green Screen Of Death" GSOD is the hard drive is on the way out.

It may recover if left alone for 24hrs.

Automan.

3. DiFontaine

DiFontaine New Member

May 15, 2004
    yes it was upgraded a couple of years ago. New disk and whatever the latest software was.

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    New drives seem to fail more quickly than old ones :(

Do you have the original drive as a backup?

Automan.

5. DiFontaine

DiFontaine New Member

May 15, 2004

Advertisements

No that one went bad as well so it was thrown out. Looks like a search on ebay for a new drive. I will leave it alone for a bit to see if it sorts itself out. Thanks

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Unfortunately if a drive is starting to give errors it's unlikely to get better even if the GSOD sorts out the current problem :(

However, depending on the drive manufacturer (and although it won't be useable in a TiVo without configuration) you may be able to get a free replacement for your failing drive if is still in warranty. Samsung warranties are 3 years and replacements are normally sent out within a week by www.rexo.co.uk; Seagate take slightly longer to send replacements, but their warranty for drives purchased since July 2005 is longer too at 5 years - see www.seagate.com.

FYI, pre-configured drives are also available from other sources than eBay, but I'm not allowed to say much more about that;)

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Many here seem to have found success in getting pre configured replacement upgrade drives from www.tivoheaven.co.uk and www.tivoland.com

It does work out more expensive than configuring a new drive yourself but its probably best to try and judge whether you might be comfortable doing that kind of stuff yourself or not by studying the guides at www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo

8. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Don't replace a drive just because you've had one GSOD.

The GSOD is the equivalent of CHKDSK or SCANDISK correcting an error in the file allocation table on a PC, but for the MFS filesystem. It can be caused by software bugs, unhandled resource clashes, power-cuts, etc, as well as physical drive errors.

If it doesn't repeat itself for a while, and it manages to correct the errors, just ignore it.

If you leave it, does it reboot back into the GSOD automatically, or is that because you are cutting the power to it? It can take a long time to complete. A GSOD/reboot loop can be caused by the swapfile not being increased sufficiently during the upgrade, so that the GSOD doesn't have enough space to complete.

9. DiFontaine

DiFontaine New Member

May 15, 2004
    I get the powering up screen , then almost there then GSOD and it starts again. I have left it for 24 hours now and it keeps repeating every few minutes or so

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Sounds like a hard drive transplant is needed.
    Earlier post suggest several places where you can get one.

Only one bit of information is really required....
    Did you have the 2.5.5a software variant to overcome the teletext bug that upsets most new TV's?

The new disc if over a certain size must be provided with the correct software to avoid problems.

Automan.

11. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    I've experienced the same thing. I'm seeing it go round in a loop between Powering Up and a Green Screen abd then a Yellow screen, saying leave it 24 hours and if that does not work call customer support.

Has anyone seen it actually recover itself ?

Mark

12. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    When the GSOD is unable to complete it reboots.

If it does this continually then either the swap is too small or you have serious MFS corruption that is too bad for the GSOD to fix.

I've never seen a drive recover from a GSOD-reboot-GSOD loop without intervention, and only then if was just a missing swap that could be replaced/re-initialised.

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Sounds like the classic mfs tools swap issue to me. His drive could be fine after a new image is applied.

14. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Thanks for the reply, if I try this, what happens to the recordings on the drives, will they still be available ?

15. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    To fix the swap if it hasn't been initialised:

Boot from from the lba48 cd

/# copykern

select option 1 (series 1 direcTivo 2.5.2)

16. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Would I still take this option if my drives are > 137GB ? I have a 160GB and a 200GB drive.

Mark

17. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Yes, all UK tivos use that option, regardless of drive size.

all tivo drives > 127Gb should have run copykern in the past anyway.

Copykern installs an updated kernel on tivo to support large drives > 127Gb
    The program also initializes the swap file, as mfsrestore often doesn't make a good job of that with larger swap files.

18. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Thankyou, will attempt this either Monday or Tuesday. Plan to take the Tivo to work and take it apart in the lab, stuff the primary disk into a spare Linux machine and boot from the CD.

Still not clear if my recordings will be lost or not ?

Mark

19. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Running copykern doesn't affect anything except the kernel and the swap, so normally it will have no effect on your recordings.

However, if your problem is due to MFS corruption rather than a missing/invalid swap then I'm afraid your recordings are probably toast.

20. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Why do you suggest Copykern over Tpip?