Help, "Pick Recordings to Transfer" doesn't work

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rantrod, Jul 17, 2006.

1. rantrod

rantrod New Member

Jul 16, 2006

Advertisements

When I click on it I get the error:
    "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR. The system cannot find the file specified"

I was told TivoToGo doesn't work if your computer is connected to the network wirelessly, but someone else in this site said it should work.

If I connect my pc wired, then it works.

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Interesting. My PC is wireless and works just fine.

Does it do this with all recordings, or just one?

3. rantrod

rantrod New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Remember, nothing shows up. When I click on the button, I get the error I mentioned. Nothing shows up - blank dialogue box except for the error.

When I connect the computer through a wire, then it works.

4. gconnery

gconnery Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Petaluma, CA
    No idea. Using wireless myself though, so it isn't as simple as wireless not working.

Can you transfer a file from the PC to the Tivo by selecting the PC in the Now Playing list?

Do you have transfers enabled for your Tivo (go to www.tivo.com, login, check the box, wait a few days)?

Can you ping your tivo from the command line?

What's the signal strenght on the Tivo's settings, network screen look like? Is it marginal?

Glenn

5. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006

Advertisements

I'm getting this too, the Tivo box can see my music and photo files from my computer and play those, but if I click on "Pick Recordings to Transfer" to get stuff off the Tivo, it gives me this error message "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR. Access is denied." I've tried disabling the firewalls and anti-virus stuff, and then unintalling the 2.3 desktop and re-installing it, but still the same problem. The PC cannot see what is on the Tivo, the Tivo is blocking it for some reason. I've also tried what you guys call "pinging the Tivo from the command line", and that doesn't work either. I get a web page that says "You are not authorized to view this page - HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden". Any ideas?

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    You sure you have your MAK (media access key) properly inputted into TivoDesktop software?

File->Set Media Access Key

Pinging the Tivo from the command line involves typing PING from the command line. :) Did you do that? Sounds like you are trying the web browser method instead.

http://<TIVO IP ADDRESS HERE>

That you should you the Tivo welcom web page

https://<TIVO IP ADDRESS HERE>

That should prompt for a username password.
    Username: tivo
    Password: MAK (+ optional parental password)

If you don't type those in I believe you would get the 403 error in your browser.

7. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Yes I typed the access key in again manually, I guess that's not it. And I opened up a new internet explorer window and typed in https://<IP address of the Tivo as in the Tivo Server Properties>, and getting the 403 error. It does not prompt for anything.

8. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    The http is working, but the https is not? No prompt for username or password at all? Sounds like this problem.

Try telnet (as shown in link) and see what happens.

What does happen if you type PING <TIVO IP> from command prompt? I assume you are getting replies back.

9. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Ok here's what happened. I got a command prompt, and typed in telnet <IP of Tivo box> 443, and the title bar of the command prompt window changed to Telnet <IP of Tivo box>, with a flashing cursor in the window. And then after a few minutes or some keystrokes, it would go back to the command prompt. So as far as that goes, it looks like it's telnetting to the Tivo. I did go and read further at the Microsoft site, and did the tracert command for www.microsoft.com, and got mixed results there. One line of *s and timed out, and then 7 lines of "hops" to different addresses, and then line after line of *s and timed out. And I couldn't telnet to any of the hopped addresses. That seemed weird, but maybe not related to the Tivo problem.

Also, yes with the PING command I'm getting replies back.

10. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Not sure why it was timing out, but definately not related to your problem here. This is all local network stuff.

Your telnet results mimics mine, so that implies it probably is functioning. :confused:

What happens if you do https using a different browser? Give Firefox a shot and see if it prompt for the username/password.

Could also try TivoPlaylist, but if you cannot connect via web browser I don't think you'll have any more luck with that.
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm

11. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Well I guess I give up at this point, I just won't be able to download recordings onto the computer. One other thing, when I do type the https://<IP address of the Tivo box> into an internet browser, I do get a site certificate message, that the CA root certificate isn't from a trusted authority, and the name doesn't match. I did install the certificate, and that was successful, so now it just says the name doesn't match, but when I go ahead and click OK to proceed, I still get the 403 error. If that makes any difference.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Yes, I get that same security warning as well (had this graphic from another post :p)

[​IMG]

When I click OK, I get the username password prompt... :confused:

You could try going into IE and Tools->Options->Content tab->AutoComplete->Clear passwords and see if you start getting the prompt again.

13. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    i just tried to clear the passwords and it locked up internet explorer, and had to do the alt cntl del and shut it down. Good grief.....

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    freediverdude,

Noticed you just got your Tivo very recently. Have you done what was suggested by Glenn?

https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-mma/dvrpref.do

15. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Um, yes, right now it shows Settings- transfers ALLOWED, and Enable Video Downloads- Enabled/On. But true, I only changed those settings on Thursday when the box arrived I think. Does it take like many days for the setting to actually change or something?

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    How long it takes depends (possibly) on the last time your Tivo box made a connection to their servers. You can go into Settings->Account & System Information and look and see what it says for the Tivo2Go line. It should say a,a,a. I think i,i,i means it isn't enabled yet or something.

You can also go into Settings->Settings->Phone & Network->Connect To Tivo service now (this is referred to as forcing a connection). Do that a couple times back to back and see if your status updates.

17. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Well it does say a,a,a. I did try to force a connection to the Tivo servers, but it said that function is unavailable until a software update occurs at 2am, lol.

18. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Sounds like you have a pending restart for a software update. (Are you at 7.3.1 yet?) You don't have to wait until 2am. In one of the menus is Restart Tivo (or you can simply pull the plug, won't hurt it any).

19. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    No the box came with software version 7.2.5, and that's what it still says I have, so I'm guessing that is what this software push is going to be. Would that fix something like this? Hmm, maybe I should just wait and see what it does after the software push.

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Just to be clear, the software has already downloaded onto your box at sometime after 2am yesterday. It just waits until 2am to reboot and install to be less invasive. (Although, at 2am it just does it without any questions asked. :thumbsdown: ) I take it you have a DT. I've never seen 7.2.5 (it was specific to the DT's). Never heard of anyone having your problem blame it on that version, but can't say for sure.

Good luck.