Help - parents stuck in guided setup!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by james.92, Jul 10, 2007.

1. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006

Advertisements

My elderly parents live in another state, way out in the boonies with only dialup.

My dad started guided setup and "thinks" he did not pick a local number first; in other words it is set to dial from another area code. He bought the TiVo S2 from a friend and needed to redo everything for his home there. When he attemps to make the call, he gets a phone in use error everytime.
    It isn't and their dialup works fine on that same jack (their only one, of course). I tried to get him to pick another number but he says their is no option for that. I had him reboot but naturally it went back right where he was before. He has reset every option available but no luck.

Is there any way for him to go back and pick a number?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    He needs to go back to the beginning of guided setup.
    I am unfamiliar with the exact sequence on a standalone TiVo.

Let's wait for those that know pipe in here. :)

3. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks Jim. :)

He says it will only go back as far as selecting the zip code. He has tried that but it still will not give him an option to choose an area code or pick a new number. I am not at home so I cannot check to see for sure, just going by what he tells me.

I thought one of the troubleshooting methods was selecting a new number but I guess I am mistaken. :( :eek:

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    From Tivo support, try this:

Go to TiVo Central by pressing the TiVo button on remote, select Messages & Settings; then Settings; then Phone and Network; then Change Phone Settings; then Dial-in Number.

5. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks, jrm01, but he says that just gives him the error sound you get when the option is not available.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I assume you mean the "bass kettle drum sound". At which point in the process does he get this?

7. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Right. I had him try it throughout the setup process, same result no matter where he is in it.

8. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    I wish I was there with him so I could see the screen. He has never had much patience :eek:

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You mean that he gets this sound as soon as he presses the Tivo button?

10. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Yep.

11. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    I guess guided setup assumes you have already picked a phone number and there is no way to do so once you start it.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I would suggest that he reboot Tivo, and the immediately after it powers up try the:

Go to TiVo Central by pressing the TiVo button on remote, select Messages & Settings; then Settings; then Phone and Network; then Change Phone Settings; then Dial-in Number.

13. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks, but we tried that earlier. As soon as it reboots it goes straight to the "choose your zip code screen" in guided setup with the old kettle drum sound when he hits the tivo button. It never goes to the desktop (if that is what you call it on a TiVo).

14. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks for trying. :)

I'll check back later and see if anyone has a magic trick up his sleeve.

I guess if he ships it to me I can complete setup on my network here. We shall see.

Thanks again.

15. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    There is no magic wand... Once Guided Setup is selected it MUST be completed...

However, the initial call (after select zip code, select video source, select Standard or Custom phone setup) is to an 800 # after that call is is completed you will be given the option to choose the correct local number from the list.

If the call is having trouble completing in Standard setup -- your parents should try custom with dial tone detection off -- this sometimes helps.

Good Luck

Michael

16. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Michael,

Thanks, but I am beginning to think something is wrong with the modem in it. He tried every combination it gave him last night but every call resulted in the phone is in use error.

If he ships it to me I should be able to complete GS on my network here, correct? Then I could pick a number for him and check to see if the modem does work.

Again, thanks to everyone for your time and information. Wish us luck! :)

17. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Yep

Michael

18. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Thanks. :)