Help! Our TiVo's Startin' to Click...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sonpham, Jan 7, 2006.

1. sonpham

sonpham New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    San...

Advertisements

Hi All,

So a few months ago, I came home to find our Tivo (of course the one with the lifetime sub.) making a rather loud, repeated click. The remote control was frozen, as were the buttons on the box. I rebooted it by unplugging it from the wall. The clicking went away and our kind friend was healthy again. And then it came back. This went on every few days for about two weeks, then a looong period when everything was great (I thought it might be a software issue). Unfortunately when we arrived home from our holiday trip, it was clicking again. Does anyone have ideas or know what the problem may be? Any tips on getting it fixed? It's a Sony SVR3000.

Thanks,
    sonpham

2. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I've heard that clicking sounds of that sort can indicate a hard drive is going, but I'm no expert, so wait to hear from others.

OTOH, our Toshiba SD-H400 made clicking noises as a matter of course... it was the sound it writing to the hard drive... drove us batty in a quiet room at night.

Can you tell whether it's the fan or the drive that's making the noise? Does the sound come from the vent hole in the back?

Again, let's hear what the gurus suggest.

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you are comfortable in changing the hard drive, then I'd do that while you can still read the kernel on the current drive. If you check atound on the upgrade forum, there will be comments about which drives are quietest. Some drives, like Maxtor, seem to make more noise than the Seagate drive I put in one of my TiVos.