Help! - New TiVo: Should I choose Lifetime, Lifetime Transfer or Monthly?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mazman, Jan 11, 2008.

1. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA

Advertisements

Just purchased a TiVo HD to replace a 6 year old Series 2, with the intention of using the $199 lifetime transfer offer.

Now, I'm having second thoughts. Should I instead get put the S2 in a closet, connect to TiVo once every few months and use MSD with the anticipation of a Lifetime Transfer on a future Series 4 box?

Also, I have no real need for the 1 year free service on the Series 2.

The $399 lifetime offer seems a bit much.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

2. shane_pcs

shane_pcs New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    If you have the money, lifetime is the way to go. I bought a replayTV 6 or 7 years ago and didnt get the lifetime. I regretted it every month, but kept telling myself that I would probably upgrade before the lifetime paid for itself. $720 later I see the error of my ways.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if you are definitely not going to use the S2 then 199/9.95 = 20 months of service on the TiVo HD. seems a no brainer to me.

I think 399/9.95 = 40 months is a bad deal, myself.

4. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I'd say go lifetime. Tivo is not going anywhere. I've had lifetime on a Series 1 for over 70 months (now transferred to Tivo HD) and lifetime on a Series 2 for about 50 months. I dont even want to think about what I'd be feeling now if I was still paying monthly fees on either of them.

5. rturrentine

rturrentine New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Huntsville, AL

Advertisements

I'm in the same boat but I still plan to use my Series 2 so the free year would good. After another year, maybe I'll use it, maybe not. It does have 350GB drive in it.

Right now I have an old broken S2 for $6.95 month and the new Tivo HD can assume that price for service.

So I'm trying to decide if I should sub the new HD for $6.95 a month or do the transfer. I've never regretted getting the lifetime on the original series 2.

6. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    I was in a similar situation, except that the old S2 was becoming an extreme hassle to keep going. (I had to replace the hard drive and the power supply, and then it died again)

Thanks to that, I decided to pay the $199.

7. ziprun

ziprun New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    I am in exact same situation. Purchased S2 in 2002 with lifetime and did my own upgrade with internal drive but over time I've had to replace the power supply myself to keep unit going.

Other than that I'm still running the original drive married to the newer internal that I put in several years back.

My concern now is that the original drive, now 5+ years old will go next.

Ordered my HD at $199 from Tivo and figure I'll do the $199 transfer when unit arrives in next few days, keep my 1 year Free on the older unit and hope it survives yet another year.

8. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Remember there's no guarantee that TiVo will offer Lifetime on any future boxes, and if they do it may not be for $199 but possibly a (much) higher sum.

If you have the cash I would say get the $199 Lifetime transfer on the THD now before it expires.

9. Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    If you can get lifetime transfer for $199, that's a better deal. (Although, I'd still measure it against how long you've had lifetime on the existing box up to this point).

For me, I don't qualify for lifetime transfer on my two lifetime boxes. When I get my new HD box, I'm going to go with monthly. You never know what will be out there 3 1/2 years from now, and I may want to upgrade again at that point.

10. Doh

Doh Well-Known Member

May 18, 2001
    I planned to transfer, but then decided that paying $400 to have lifetime on two boxes made more sense than paying $200 to have lifetime on one box. I ended up giving the second away as a gift, but I also think you could make at least $200 ebaying it.

11. skipswift

skipswift New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I just signed up for 1 yr. service @ $129 but now I'm reading this thread about 1 year of free service and $199 for lifetime service?

Can someone give me the details on both of these?

Thanks.
    S.

12. Doh

Doh Well-Known Member

May 18, 2001
    Tivo is running two offers for existing owners. One lets any existing owner put lifetime on a new tivo for $399, and the other lets an existing owner of a series 2 where lifetime was purchased before a certain date (approx. 10/1/2003?) switch the lifetime sub from the series 2 to a new tivo HD for $199, and then the old series 2 gets a free year of service.

Since you sound like a new owner, you wouldn't be eligible for either of these deals (although you might be able to find someone to purchase you lifetime service on a new tivo for $399).

13. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I also got a new TivoHD, and was debating whether to get lifetime or a prepaid 3 yr plan. Lifetime is transferrable, right? So even if it costs more upfront (and I don't think I'll still be using the TivoHD after 4 yrs but who knows), I can still sell it on eBay with the lifetime and recoup my investment, right?

14. Chiparoo

Chiparoo New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Do you have a link (or any evidence) that the $199 TiVo HD Transfer offer is still available? I believe it expired on Feb 3. The $399 offer is still available until Apr 2.

15. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Whoa, I didn't know that! Thanks for pushing me to do this sooner...I didn't plan on getting lifetime until June when I move into a new house, but I may as well do it now.

16. chewy2314

chewy2314 Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Northern...
    Well, as i have been posting... so far two of us on the woot thread were able to transfer from S1 and S2 lifetimes to Tivo HD at ZERO cost. I just ask for the transfer and ask if would cost anything and the rep said no. Previously, the offer was $199 and 1yr extension on the old box. Rep said no extension will be given for my old box. (which was fine with me).:D

17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You may want to note the date of the post you are responding to.;)

18. polybus

polybus New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I just called Tivo about my 2003 activated lifetime on S1. They said expired for the 199 deal. SUXORS!

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    RTFWP..

No, it's not transferrable to another Tivo.. but you realize that from the rest of it..

it sticks with the Tivo. So IMHO, lifetime is always worth it... (even at the $399 price..)

20. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    FYI, this is NOT true... I called and confirmed.