Help! New R10 Activation and Setup

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TCS-DTiVo, Oct 2, 2008.

1. TCS-DTiVo

TCS-DTiVo New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Central...

Advertisements

I need some advice. One of my receivers (an R15) failed and I replaced it with another R10 (brand new in sealed box since 2005). It is setup and activated, but won't record until it makes a forced call to DTV. I've had three DTV CSR's tell me it doesn't need to make a call to complete setup, but there seems to be no other way around it.

So, assuming the call has to be made, will this call initiate a software update to 6.4? Is there any way around this? The unit has 6.1 as it is new, which I may not want, but I'm not sure I want 6.4 either. Any suggestions?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, Tivo-based DVRs require that intial setup phone call. You will probably get v6.4a software, but that's mostly a good thing.

3. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    I did the same thing a couple months ago, using an R10 to replace a Samsung that died

You MUST allow the telephone call to activate the recording function, since the unit is required to tell Tivo it is there (this is in addition to having the CSR activate the unit so DirecTv knows it is there)

The 6.4a update will most likely require a LONG connection to download the update... at least mine did, since the update did not seem to come down the satellite link any more

6.4a is, in my experience, faster operating compared to what was on before

4. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Hey, just how LONG did it take for you, approx??? And did your unit update directly to 6.4a? (hope so...) And, did you activate it first, THEN update, or did you do all your updating first, THEN activate?

I'm trying to do the same thing for a customer (replacing an R10 with a brand-new boxed R10, that is all the way back on 6.1.) Every time I've tried to get it to download, it fails along the way. As I type this, I'm up to 1 1/2 hours so far, but at least it's still going this go around.

Since this is a virgin unit all the way back to 6.1, I'm worried, since I have a couple other boxed units just like this. Is there any reasons (other than poor phone connections, which mine is good) that units this far back won't update? Any other ways to get updated to 6.4a, other than totally replacing the hard drive.

Thx for any help guys.

5. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....

Advertisements

You can buy instantcake 6.4a from www.dvrupgrade.com and for less than $20.00 upgrade all of your R10's in less than 1/2 hour each. :)

6. TCS-DTiVo

TCS-DTiVo New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Central...
    Thanks for the replies so far. Just to update, I activated the R10 first, then the system made a forced call to get access numbers and then a forced call using the local number I chose. It was a quick call and did not download any software update at all, either over the phone or after a reboot (which I initiated, not the unit). So this unit is working fine and still at 6.1. I haven't initiated any more calls yet. Has anyone went directly from 6.1 to 6.4a on the R10 yet?

7. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    It took somewhere between 3 1/2 to 4 hours to complete this call. (I had to leave sometime in between this) But it did complete the call & then indicated pending restart, which I did manually. I still had not yet had the card remarried to this new unit, but I'm getting ready to do that next.

Thx for the info, but the only problem I have with this is, that their website says that they do NOT recommend you use the existing drive in these units, since it was meant for larger drives. (or something to that effect) Is this true? If I have to go & buy all new HD's for these boxes, then obviously it's going to cost a LOT more than $20 to use IC 6.4a to update them...

8. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Dishrich:
    I have put instantcake on 40gb drives successfully. Since all yours are 80GB there should be no problem. :)