HELP! -- New Pricing and Woot Deal (from a few months back)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sloan, May 18, 2011.

1. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    :confused::confused::confused:

I got a Woot Tivo (Premier?) a few months back.
    Then I got sidetracked, and never activated it.

I have a TivoHD right now (w Lifetime).

Do I need to ACT-NOW (tonight?)

I've ready about 20 posts and cannot make light of it, and the clock is running.

If all I have is a Premiere w/ Lifetime....at the end, then I can pass.
    But if I can have a TivoHD w Lifetime and Premiere w Lifetime at the end of the day, then I might do that. (I'm thinking the $400-$500 range for both boxes).

Thanks.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Um, have you called TiVo? We are only hearsay.

Previously, the upgrade offer left your existing unit on your account, it was not an exchange.

3. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, I take things with a grain of salt (on whatever is said in the forum(s))
    I'm just looking for best-guesses and hints.

That seems to be the kicker... "leaving the old unit on your account".

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Am I missing something here?
    What does any upgrade offer have to do with the Tivo you bought off of woot.com? The upgrade offers are for Tivo.com purchases.

5. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yes, you got it. When I click the offer, that's what it says. So the deal we get depends on what you click. If you have the box but no service, they may not know, and you deal may not show a service deal.
    My TiVos are all Lifetime, so my deals only show buy a box with different service choices. I imagine if I had a monthly box, it would offer me a service upgrade on that box.

6. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I would reach out to tivo to find out. I asked them a ton of questions to figure out if this is something I really want to pull the trigger on right away or wait. I'm waiting. (as it stands based on the pricing information I could get from the CSR It may cost me $30 more)

Your situation is quite interesting, as you already purchased the unit, but haven't done anything to it yet. I believe some people have posted that they have been able to put lifetime on the woot unit already. I'm guessing after today, you would be able to put lifetime on it with out a problem. I would speculate that you could on other units previously purchased as well.

7. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Tivo was allowing the Woot boxes to be treated as if they were purchased from Tivo, unlike boxes bought from Amazon or Best Buy or others.
    Which is why they were going like hotcakes that day, IIRC. (Big "if", my memory isn't so great anymore).

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I also have one of the Woot Premieres, unactivated.
    I remember reading that Lifetime service was not initially available on the website. I confirmed using my Woot Premiere, I just didn't follow through with the transaction.
    Some people posted that you could sign up for the monthly plan online, and within 30 days, do a plan change and Lifetime would then be available.
    Others posted that they were able to get Lifetime by calling TiVo.

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I also got a Woot Premiere - was able to get Lifetime by calling in. There was some significant CSR confusion about the units as I recall.

Later I saw that several folks got lifetime online by using the "change-within-30-days" feature on the website in My Account after initially signing up for monthly. That might've been easier; up to you.

Pricing on Lifetime is either $399, $299 or $199, depending on what boxes you already have, what plans are on them, and what CSR you get.

10. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Long story short:

I got the $299 rate on the (woot) premiere box.

Long short longer:

I activated a monthly subscription YESTERDAY (the day before the price change).

I called today, and said that I wanted to move it to lifetime.
    They quoted me the $399 price.

I said I tried to activate yesterday (and I could PROVE it because I had the monthly activation from the day before).

(Also keeping in mind that the $299 did not show up for me on the website, only the monthly fee did).

The CSR I got was trying to help me. But he had to go talk to someone for like 15 minutes.

He worked on my behalf and got the $299 rate. It was not easy. I asked him to spell out the "TWO" in 299 in the notes so it would be there in case someone later questioned it.

So he put in notes to credit my account $9.99 (monthly) and charge $299 and lifetime tag the box.

I'll see when I get home I guess.

I told him that I was not going to activate at the $399 rate. And I was like "Let's make everybody a winner, and convince them that it would be a good thing for me to pay you $299".

But I was nice and friendly, never "demanding my rights" and never was a jerk to him. Even if he had come back and said "Can't do it", I was going to be nice.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    This is the best attitude to have with Tivo CS in my experience - I was able to get special offers applied to both my Premiers just by asking nicely and asking them to look on the account to see if they were able to apply the special offer. Took two calls the first time, got it the first call the second time. Saved me $200 total so it was well worth the trouble.

If you're confrontational and/or argumentative, the odds of "winning CSR roulette" are probably much lower.

To the OP: Really glad you got them activated appropriately - I have a feeling it'll be harder and harder to get this pricing applied as time goes on, so any of you guys who have Woot boxes stored (I know there's a few of you out there) you may want to think about going ahead and setting things up.

12. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC

Yeah. I agree. The only "ace in the hole" I had was that I had activated the account the day before (the rate changes) with the monthly.

The manager of the CSR originally said "$399 ONLY", but when I asked the CSR to advocate for me with the previous-day's activation, that was the thing that worked.

CSR and managers (of the CSRs) mileage will vary of course.