Help - New Drive needed in TiVoHD! (want to replace drive)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jjberger2134, Sep 27, 2019.

1. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    I posted this over in the S3 forum, but theres not a lot of traffic there. I also posted within an ongoing conversation. Thought I'd post here as well to catch some eyeballs.

Hi all - My 10 year old TiVoHD is starting to freeze up on video playback. I'm not yet ready to retire this lifetime machine. Thus, I'd like to replace the drive. Years ago, I upgraded from the factory drive to a 1TB Hitachi drive. At the time I used MFS Tools to move the image to the new drive.

Currently, I'd like to move over all the programs that I have saved on the TiVo. I am seeking advice on this. Can I use MFS Tools to do this? I haven't found any documentation online that says I can or cannot do this. Just some websites that say to move programs I'd need to burn a disk and run a Linux ISO file via some sort of bootable CD (which I never have done). I think this bootable CD is also some sort of MFS Tool. Can someone elaborate on the best way for me to copy the image file AND the programs to the new drive? I have the original .tbk file from 10 years ago, and assume I can still pull the image off the current drive (it works, but not great anymore).

Also, any recommendations on a new drive? I see many people recommending the WD Blue or Red series. Any downsides to these and any other suggestions?

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
  3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Thank you. I just spent some time reading that thread. Seems straightforward, even for me! Do you happen to know if the S3 and TiVoHD use the same commands in MFSTools to copy everything over? I noticed you recommend the WD red drives. Any downside to using Blue?

4. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Exactly the same commands. The THD IS a Series 3; just a different model than the original S3 OLED box. WD Blue is probably too hot - compare the power consumption ratings. You absolutely want to choose a low power 5400 RPM drive. WD Red or Purple are recommended. I believe you are limited to 2TB, but I won't swear to that.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Recommended for Series 3 are WD10EFRX (1TB) or WD20EFRX (2TB)

You should also check/replace the capacitors in the power supply as its aged and can cause many issues including hard drive failure.

If you need an image, would need the model number. Its located on the back label next to the fan and power cord and begins with TCD, or in System Information, the first 3 numbers of the Tivo Service Number, the last 3 numbers of the software version.

6. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    thanks, I’ll check out those hard drives. I was running a 7200 rpm drive. My hard drive still works (plus I have the original one that came with the TiVo in 2009), so I think I’m ok with the image.

How does one check or replace the capacitors in the power supply?

7. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I am glad this was brought up; sorry I forgot to mention it.

If your S3 box has not already had the power supply caps replaced, you absolutely MUST do this before you replace the drive! Not only might it save you from ruining a new drive, but it quite possibly will fix the current issues you are experiencing.

MAYBE your old caps are OK (very unlikely - this is a big known issue with S3 boxes), but it is not worth the risk to ignore them if you are going to do other things to keep the old box in service.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  8. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You need to be able to solder (or find a buddy to help). There is no real check - you just replace them all. It is not expensive. You can find a full list of the needed caps for you model of power supply in other threads.

9. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    The caps we are talking about are the electrolytic capacitors shaped like little cans. Soldering them in is quite simple (just make sure to observe the polarity), but if you do not already know how to solder electronics, I suggest you find help so you do not ruin the circuit board.

10. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    thank you. I think this is quickly becoming out of reach for me. I did lots of reading, and am comfortable using MFSTools to replace the hard drive. Soldering is a whole other level.

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can also look for any electronics repair shop in your area if you are unable to DIY.

You can get the hard drive from Amazon and they are under $75 for the 2TB. Search for WD20EFRX or WD10EFRX.

We do not recommend any 7200+ RPM drives, Tivo does not benefit, produces more heat, uses more power than the meager power supply can handle.

12. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    There are places where you can buy repaired power supplies (such as Weakknees), but the cost tends to be quite high. With all the old S3 boxes being decommissioned these days after upgrade offers, it shouldn't be too hard to find a junker that has already had the power supply fixed.

13. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    BEA1E595-2A11-4568-9919-927435F15856.jpeg

Thanks for all of this info. I received the Western Digital Red Drive today and promptly tried using MFS Tools. Looks like the old drive is SDA and the new drive is in SDF, but received an error - “copy source: Log entry too short.”

Any suggestions?