Help needed with setting up MoCA with OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Bwatford141, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Tampa, FL

Advertisements

I just moved into a new house, and switched to a Roamio OTA connected with an antenna in the attic. I need some help in figuring out how to get the mini's connected.

Here is my setup.

Living Room -
    • Roamio OTA connected to a coax that runs into the antenna in the attic.
    • Frontier FIOS router (Arris NVG468MQ) is next to the Roamio OTA. The router is connected via ethernet. This router can be setup as a MoCA bridge.

Attic -
    • All cable runs to each bedroom conveniently come together right next to the attic access.

Can I install a 2-way splitter behind the Roamio/Router to send MoCA up to a slitter into the attic? @krkaufman....any chance you can help me out?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    krkaufman likes this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep. Though you could also use an antenna/satellite diplexer, rather than the 2-way splitter, to lessen the signal loss. (SAT port to router, VHF/UHF port to DVR; more info >here<)

As for the splitter in the attic access location, with just one coax run to the DVR/router location you'd be looking at Options 1-3 in the following graphic:

antenna routing options x4.jpg
    (If you had 2 runs, Option 4 would be the way to go.)

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, the DVR would be wired via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router, of course.

4. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Ok...so I setup everything as depicted in Option 3. Everything in option 3 is in the attic. The "to dvr" line from the diplexor is going to the jack behind the TV. At that jack, I have a splitter with one line going to the Roamio OTA and the other going to the Arris NVG468MQ. Is this all correct?

I cannot get the minis to connect to the MoCA network. Is there a setting on the router that needs to be turned on to enable MoCA use?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Yes, though, as mentioned earlier, you could have used a second diplexer at the DVR/router location, rather than the 2-way splitter, to surgically redirect the signals to their respective devices, for a bit of signal savings. If the OTA signal is satisfactory, then a splitter is fine (even better, since you then don't have to worry about which port is being used, which can be confusing months/years down the road).

Good question; likely, but I'll need to check. Do you have access to the router's config UI?

Also, a quick test to eliminate the coax plant as the issue would be to hook a MoCA adapter or a Mini directly to the router's coax port, using a short coax cable. Once this direct test works, then you can tackle getting things working across the coax plant.

6. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I only had the one diplexor, so I went with a splitter behind the TV to save some time. The signal stayed the same, so no worries there.

Yes...I do.

One step ahead of you on that one! I tried hooking the mini up directly to the router, without success.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I did change this MoCA setting to enable, without success.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.35.13 PM.png

I still see this on the main summary page.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.37.51 PM.png

8. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I came across this thread. Is it possible that Frontier has disabled this option due to my 500/500mbps exceeding the capability os MoCA?
    Frontier Fios MOCA question...

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Different issue, I expect. I think I covered that >here<.

My guess is that MoCA is just not enabled by default on the NVG468MQ. (edit: Looking into it.)

(edit2: Bad guess, per your prior post)

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And accessed the Mini's network configuration page to ensure it was set to MoCA client, "Auto" channel, no privacy, etc?

I just reset my NVG468MQ to factory default, and was able to connect a TiVo Bridge to it with no problem. It took about 10 seconds for the "coax" LED on the TiVo Bridge to illuminate, indicating a successful MoCA LAN connection. (With the NVG468MQ's 'Coax (MoCA)' configuration page reflecting the status change from 'Down' to 'Up.')

edit: p.s. And the TiVo Bridge was able to link-up whether I had the NVG468MQ's 'Network Controller' setting enabled or disabled.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, disabling 'MoCA PHY Enable' killed my TiVo Bridge's MoCA link ... and re-enabling this setting, it took about 15 seconds from hitting 'Apply' for the TiVo Bridge to re-establish the link.

edit: p.s. Demerits to the firmware programmers for not listing MoCA status as "Disabled" (rather than "Down") when this setting is actually disabled.

12. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Great news! I am up and running! Bonehead move....I had the POE filter on the wrong end of the diplexor. Not sure why the mini would not work the first time I connected it directly to the router. I tried again and it worked fine. That lead me back up to the attic to review my connections. Thanks again @krkaufman ! This is the second time in 4 years that you have got me up and running with my minis. I REALLY appreciate it!

krkaufman likes this.
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, great to hear!

And I got some good (and bad) out of it, as well. I finally powered-up a NVG468MQ I'd bought quite a while back (good), but have found my device's firmware to be sub-optimal, per a SNB forums thread discussing the router (link):

Searching high and low I was unable to find a MoCA statistics page, and the above post explained why. Not sure there's any way for a non-Frontier customer to get a firmware update on one of these.

p.s. My firmware version: 9.2.0h3d58

14. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    @krkaufman Just curious... in options 3 & 4 in post #2 above, what is the purpose of the POE filters on the splitters as opposed to just using a terminator?

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My failure to definitely lock down which provides better performance, so I've typically kept the "PoE" MoCA filter in place to normalize the configurations.