Help! Need to Replace Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by westpost, Aug 18, 2019.

1. westpost

westpost New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    California
    We have a Roamio Pro Lifetime with a 2TB HDD and the Comcast 220 channel package (plus 250Mb internet), which has been working great. We don’t actually watch on the TV, but use the TiVo app for streaming to iPads, both in and out of the house, plus use the Xfinity streaming iPad app quite a bit.

But, just got AT&T 1Gb fiber installed, which is awesome. The kids also love the 1ms latency for gaming. And no monthly 1TB data quota.

Comcast does not offer a TV-only package, so am searching for a new one.

Currently trying YouTubeTV, which has the cool unlimited storage cloud DVR, but has limited channels and lacks the many great TiVo features we have loved since 2003, especially channel skipping.

Looked at DirecTV and Dish, which have better channel selections, but I don’t know how their DVRs compare to TiVo. I have no idea how well their streaming apps work, which is what we live by (again, we don’t actually watch on the TV). The more recent App Store reviews for both the DirecTV and Dish streaming iPad apps are not so great.

We could of course keep paying the same for Comcast with the internet and just not use the internet, but that gets expensive.

In case it matters, we are in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Any advice on satellite, or other alternatives? Thanks!

2. westpost

westpost New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    California
    Oh, forgot to mention that I did compare YouTubeTV to the other streaming options, and that was my favorite, between channel selection and other features. I could not believe that Hulu with Live TV has a DVR limited to 50 hours.

3. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
  4. westpost

westpost New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    California
    So I guess my question is, more succinctly, does it pay to go from YouTubeTV (my favorite of the cord-cutting services) to something like satellite, in order to regain the channels I had with Comcast, given that I am loathe to install a dish on the roof and get a physical DVR, and sign a 24-month contract, all while relying an iPad app to stream from that might not be so great?

5. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    It depends what channels you are missing and want. The most popular add on for YouTube TV is Philo. It fills out most of the popular channels you are missing. Also a really good product that functions a lot like YTTV in many ways. And a benefit to having a second service is you get more conccurent streams at the same time.

Since you like streaming to your tablets so much, it really does make sense for you to just switch to a streaming provider like YouTube TV and Philo.

You can also sell off all of your tivo equipment for a pretty penny (we got over $2,000 for all of ours).

Give streaming some time, if it's still new to you, it's just part of learning something new. After about a month or so, we greatly preferred YTTV to Tivo for a variety of reasons. Only thing we miss is the one button commercial skip but that's hardly a deal breaker.

Having unlimited tuners is huge. We normally have 10+ recordings going at a time, no conflicts, ever.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  6. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Probably, at least short term. If you have AT&T cell service -- or maybe even high speed internet -- you can get discounted DirecTV.

I think you are doing this backwards, though. Maybe start by keeping track of what you watch. Note the channel or network that carries that programming. If local programming is your thing, it's tough to beat an antenna. I would also look at the free OTT service from Pluto. Start with free, right? If you crave the latest on Tiny Homes, consider Philo which gives you most of the cable 'fillers' -- no sports, news, or premium channels. Vue has a number of tiers of service with some being a true cable replacement. If you are a prime member, Amazon offers a lot of the premium channels as standalone Prime Channels.

It starts with you figuring out what you want. If you want cable, you may want to see what kind of high speed internet your cable company offers.

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can get the TiVo “experience” with DirecTV, but none of the streaming features. The THR22 DVR is a two-tuner box that mainly replicates the HR10-250 (TiVo Series 2) in function. It works fine, but if you’re used to a cable TiVo, you’ll likely be disappointed.

The non-TiVo DVRs have many more features and five tuners (or more). Still no streaming from other services, though.

8. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Online pricing will not show TV only but you can get it.

Do you still have your Comcast account or at least can login?

If so you can download the local rates for your area.

Comcast service rate

There you will find TV only packages like digital economy, starter, preferred, etc.

chiguy50, PSU_Sudzi and krkaufman like this.
  9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Just go to a local Comcast office and tell them to drop internet, nothing else needs to be done, keep the cable card as is. Keep your channels or change them.

If you want a special price cancel everything and check the web in a day or 2 and you will have options for TV only at a special rate. But you'll have to order equipment and return it for a cable card.

10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    With Comcast, to be a 'new subscriber', you need to not have service for over 90 days...

You could try OTA for that period?

-KP

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    if you ask nicely of an agreeable store rep, i've heard the 90-day waiting period can be waived in certain instances for certain reasons...

12. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I have been on new customer pricing for over six years now.

Just have to know the correct number to call.

BallJack and kpeters59 like this.
  13. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I've switch to YouTube TV and pretty much dropped tivo
    Love tivo but my spectrum cable was well crappy says it best.
    I do have 1 tivo lifetime hooked up to an indoor antenna, also in my livingroom ( I am 5 miles from HD antennas, so get great picture), for my commerical skip fix.lol

I am liking YTTV, but their FF sucks, and I really wish they would let you delete a recording. I know its unlimited space, but my recordings folder is getting huge.

Also dont like that you cant skip commercials on CBS or CW, but I guess that affects all 3rd party streaming services
    I normally record CBS on my Tivo.

Have spectrum internet now wish is crazy fast, before I was still grandfathered into TW internet, so that's another plus.

14. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Just remove the show from your library if you don't want it anymore. Easy as that. This is why you can't delete individual recordings because it's based on the shows. If you want the show, then having all of the seasons available when you open that show makes sense. If you don't want the show, just remove it from library.

OP, don't get Comcast. Even if you can get TV only. The on-demand doesn't work with Tivo so it's a neutered service.

15. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    When I had Comcast, I never had an issue getting better rates. They just make you sign a new 2 year agreement each time. Just call and ask. I would just tell them it's too expensive and I'm thinking of canceling, and if they could check rates to see if we can make it more affordable. The rep then looks for whatever promos they have. Heck, I did that when I had internet only and saved $25/mo, too.

But with no on demand, I'm not sure why anyone would use Tivo and Comcast. That's silly.

16. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Doesn't remove already recorded programs, just won't record any more

17. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    It removes it from your library. What more do you want? Library is where your shows are. Go to "Shows" and remove stuff from the library you don't want. They absolutely disappear. Library is where you recordings are. If you remove from Library, then it's gone.

18. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I want shows that I have watched to GO AWAY.... I want shows from 4-5 seasons ago to be my choice if I want to see them or not. Not a deal breaker, still like the service.
    Except for the crappy FF

19. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I visit my local office every 12 or 24 months and ask for a better deal. No need to threaten to cancel. And on my last visit, about 45 days ago, the rep said there was no need to sign a 12 or 24 month contract.

The reps are always helpful in finding the best deals. For example, the last rep asked if he could add one channel bundle for $5/month but that qualified me for the best over-all promo...saving a total of $50/month.

20. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I have canceled TV and the next day I had double play offers. Before canceling I had none. Granted I did not cancel everything. I did this only a few months ago.