Help! Need Kick start experts

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by atmuscarella, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 35
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    See Post #4 with new questions - Thanks!

I guess yesterday was my day for TiVo problems. Both my Series 3 HD and TiVo HD sh** the bed yesterday.

The TiVo HD is in a restart loop and I can not figure out how to send it into some kick start tests. I have the instructions from this post:

But my TiVo HD does not respond to the pause command when booting. Just for info my TiVos are in the same room so they are all set to respond to different remote controls, do I need to have a remote tranmitting on the "0" remote control number or should the remote I normally use with it work? If I need a remote set to the "0" output how do I reset a remote?

The Series 3 HD is also rebooting and can not find the attached 1TB western digital external storage. Any advice on how to check if it is the drive, cable, or something else? I do not have a computer with an external eSata connection.

Thanks

PS: If you have ESP can you tell me where the heck I stored the TiVo HD's original hard drive apparently I put it someplace really safe :eek:

2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 35
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    This has a few more tips on exactly when to hit pause.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

I don't know if they understand codes 1-9 during the boot process, but I would try code 0. Just press the Pause & TiVo buttons for a few seconds seconds until the red LED lights up and stays on, then press any number key (0-9). The LED will flash.

The WD expander has USB 2.0 in addition to eSata. Their diagnostics program (Data Lifeguard) will run over USB.

3. Nov 2, 2011 #3 of 35
    ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm also unable to get the "kickstart" thing working.

On the Series 3, what exactly is the "yellow light" that I'm supposed to look for when it reboots? Is it the TiVo logo in the middle of the front panel? It shines yellow during the boot process. Is it the arc of buttons on the right of the panel? That's also yellow. Or is it a dot-sized LED, and where is it -- front left or center?

4. Nov 2, 2011 #4 of 35
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok I replaced the 2TB drive in my Tivo HD with an older 1TB drive I had (found the TiVos original drive) and everything works fine.

The drive that failed was a Hitachi drive manufactured 1/2011 any ideas what test I can run on it if I attach it to my computer that might find the problem and fix it? I had over 1TB of new shows on the drive and really would like to try something before calling and getting a RMA.

Gave up on the Series 3 HD but decided to order a new eSata cable before disconnecting the external drive again about 1TB of shows will be lost if I can not get it to work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

5. Nov 2, 2011 #5 of 35
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Go to

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

and get the Drive Fitness Test cd image and burn yourself a copy and run the long test.

6. Nov 2, 2011 #6 of 35
    ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    I eventually got the kickstart trick to work, although I still don't know what "yellow light" they're talking about. I ran the S.M.A.R.T. test, and I've attached a picture of the result. I figure those two "Fail 7" occurrences are bad news?

Attached Files:

7. Nov 2, 2011 #7 of 35
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I fear there may be a new hard drive in your future. The good news appears to be that you don't have an external to complicate things.

You need to get the manufacturer's diagnostic software and run the long test on that drive. KS54 ain't neccesarily the gospel.

If you've got recordings you want to save, you'll need another drive at least as big, and you can try using dd_rescue to copy from the old drive before it gets worse, probably before you run the manufacturer's long test.

You should also wrap the old drive in a couple of thicknesses of paper towel and stick it in the freezer overnight before running dd_rescue.

8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 35
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok I ran the long fitness test and the drive failed (it passes the short test).

The code I got was 0X70

Anyone know what that means? Also the program correctly identified the drive model and serial number but when I got the failed notice with the code for some reason it thought it wasn't a Hitachi drive.

Anyone know of a way to copy my shows off this drive? It appears the Hitachi RMA process is going to require me to send it the drive before they will send me a replacement.

Thanks,

9. Nov 3, 2011 #9 of 35
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You might give a shot at copying/cloning the drive with JMFS or other cloning program, to another (good/new)2 TB drive.

Don't know what the chance of success will be. Probably not very good, but may be worth a try.

Maybe give another (final)try at booting the failed drive. Maybe by some miracle, it boots and you can transfer off what you can. Again, slim chance, but it has happened before(for me).

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Right now BestBuy has the 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS in a retail box

EDIT: They no longer put that drive in that box, apparently. Here's what I know so far.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478254

END EDIT

so it's a different number on sale through Saturday for $75 and if the local store is out of stock you can nail it down at that price through bestbuy.com

I'll know later today if it works in an HD.

I mention that because of the skyrocketing prices of other hard drives just now and for the forseeable future because of the Thailand flooding.

Whatever drive you get you should probably run the manufacturer's long test on first just to be sure you're going to a good target.

So, assuming you can lay hands on another 2TB without selling your firstborn, download the MFS Live cd iso (or zip of iso) from mfslive.org and burn yourself a copy, then use dd_rescue to "Xerox" the Hitachi over.

Use the -v option so that you can see what's going on.

You might need to set it to take very small bites at a time with the -b option set to 512 and the -B set to 1

This will make it take forever.

Probably a good idea to wrap that Hitachi in a couple of layers of paper towel and stick it the freezer overnight before the copyover.

The paper towel absorbs any condensation on the cold metal and keeps you from leaving any finger skin on the drive when you take it out.

Once you get it hooked up for the copyover, remove the toweling, and if you can arrange a small fan to blow on it after it starts to warm up that'd be good too.

If you don't have an external that was used with the TiVo this drive was in, then if necessary you can go back and use dd_rescue to copy over partitions 2,3,4,5,6,7, and 9 from the 1TB you say is working to the new 2TB. That'll leave you with Tivo OS partitions from a working drive and the MFS partitions (that's where the shows are) from the Hitachi while preserving the 2TB partition map.

You say you have an S3 HD and an HD.

Does that mean that what you call an S3 HD is a TCD648xxx and the HD is a TCD652xxx?

Which would mean that you have an original "thermometer front" OLED display Series 3 (the 648) and another Series 3 platform machine, what's usually referred to as just an HD (the 652).

If so, and the Hitachi was in your 652 without an external drive attached, you can remove the eSATA jack from it's back panel, unplugging the cable from the motherboard, and go from the other TiVo's external drive via your eSATA cable to the jack to a computer motherboard's SATA jack.

Is that external one of the "approved" WD models?

If so, I'd be curious to know if it was the enclosure that failed or the actual drive inside, although based on other comments elsewhere I wouldn't rule out the eSATA cable between external drive and TiVo as being the actual culprit.

It's times like these I feel the lack of richsadams's input.

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Thanks I ordered one and will be able to pick it up either tonight or tomorrow.

Will be trying this all new to me so I may have questions

Yes I have one of the Orginial Series 3 HDs and a TiVo HD (along with a Premiere) with the service numbers you indicates.

Yes the Hitachi was in my TiVo HD and it did not have an external drive attached. However I am not sure what you are trying to tell me in this paragraph.

The external drive is one of the approved WD models (the first 1tb drive the one with only an eSata connection). I have ordered a new eSata cable a SIIG 3.3-Feet Serial ATA External Cable (CB-SA0111-S1) from Amazon. Hopefully that is all it is.

I have seen (and used) lots of his posts is he no longer posting here?

Thanks,

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm going to have to postpone answering until sometime late this afternoon.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You may or may not want to cancel that order at BestBuy.

They're putting a different drive in that box now.

Here's what I know so far.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478254

14. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I just had a Seagate fail in my computer and they sent me the replacement drive with a return shipping label with the condition that they will charge me for the replace if I didn't return the original. Maybe Hatachi has a similar program???

If so you may can still dd over and get most of your stuff...

15. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    unitron:

In Post 10 above you say to us MFSLive to try copy from the defective 2TB drive to the new 2TB Seagate I just purchased. Is there any reason I can not use the software from comer to do the same thing? I have that on a bootable Flash drive and have used it several times so I am a little more familiar with it than MFSLive.

If I am also understanding you correctly it is likely the new drive will not work after copying the software from the bad drive as the bad drive apparently has had some failure in the areas where the operating system is correct?

And that I will then have to copy the sectors from a drive with a functioning operating system to the new 2TB drive will you be able to give me detailed instructions on how to do that?

The new 2TB drive is being ran through the long tests right now looks like it will take most of today to finish.

Thanks,

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The MFS Live cd has spike's update of Tiger's MFS Tools.

It also has some other stuff that's not TiVo specific, but handy to have.

Stuff like hdparm, dd_rescue, and I forget what else at the moment.

I just checked the jmfs rev 104 cd (that's the only comer software of which I know), and it doesn't have dd_rescue on it.

The reason to use dd_rescue is that it copies ones and zeros without worrrying about what they're about. It "Xerox"'s drives or partitions, whether they came out of a TiVo, a PC, a Mac, or whatever, and if it hits a snag it tries again.

If you can figure out how to make a bootable USB drive out of jmfs, you can probably do the same with MFS Live.

I'm pretty sure that jmfs, which was designed to let you put a bigger hard drive in a Premiere and by serendipity works on S3 HDs as well, expects to be dealing with a properly functioning source drive.

Your Hitachi doesn't seem to be a properly functioning drive.

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Thanks for your help, I have dd_rescue running (started yesterday afternoon. If is showing 3312 "errrs:" so far. When it finds bad blocks it really slows it down as it spends several seconds on each one.

I am going to try the new Seagate drive in my TiVo HD after it is finished - I am assuming it will not work but maybe I will get lucky. Will post back after that.

Thanks again,

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have been running dd_rescue for over 2 days now.

How long should it take?

It looks like it maybe in some kind of loop I used the following command to start:

dd_rescue -A -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb​

Thanks,

19. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, I have the Hitachi 2 TB drive with the same issues. I purchased it(bare drive) in April 2011 from Newegg. The manufacture date of the label directly on the drive is March 2011.

I used it to upgrade(usung JMFS) the drive in a refurbed Premiere(woot) but unsubscribed unit. The upgrade was effortless and it worked fine for a week, but then the unit failed to boot. I attributed it to Tivo/motherboard issues as the original WD drive, which had also been working fine, exibited the same symptoms.

I have held onto the Hitachi drive, as an eventual backup for my Tivo HD, which is getting long in the tooth with it's 1 TB internal + 1 TB external drive set up. When I purchased the Hitachi, it passed all tests(including extended, 12 hour+ test) with the Hitachi fitness diagnostic download.

After continually failing with JMFS to clone the original, pretty much very lightly used Tivo HD drive(also failure using the 1 TB internal as source), I am getting the "Non Hitachi Disk drive", 0X70 error code with the Hitachi drive fitness diag on the 2 TB drive.

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok dd_rescue finished and of course the drive will not boot in my TiVo HD. I tried Kickstart 52 (nothing happened) and Kickstart 56 (got error message that it could not connect).

In post 10 unitron indicates it should be possible to copy the operating system from a functioning drive to the 2TB drive that I copied the data too from the drive that failed. I have 2 functioning drives with good software on them for this TiVo HD one is the 1TB drive in the TiVo HD now and another is the units original 160GB drive that was in the unit until about 4/2011.

Can someone give me instructions on how to only copy of the sectors unitron indicated or point me to where the instructions are? I am still trying to save as much of the recordings as possible.

Thanks,