1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Need an image for TCD746500 (TiVo Premiere)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by admadan, Jan 28, 2017.

1. admadan

admadan New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    So I've been trying to upgrade my TiVo for like a week. I just replaced a dead drive in my old TiVo HD and upgraded to 1TB WD Red drive. So I figured I'd update my TiVo Premiere. I bought 1 2TB WD20EFRX drive for the Premier. I used DvrBARS to make an image from the original drive (which boots and runs ok) and tried restoring it to the new drive, which kept failing. I ran the WD diagnostics on it and it failed, oh well it happens. I received the replacement drive and it tests fine. DvrBARS restored fine, but the tivo kept rebooting. It would show the welcome to TiVo screen and then restart (this was before even using JMFS to expand the drive) and I'd be stuck in this loop. So I tried using JMFS to do a drive to drive copy and it kept giving truncated errors. Tried using MFSTools 3.2 and it reported a problem with my source drive....so I think my source drive is dying. Could someone please give me a copy of an image for me to try?

Thanks!

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    PM sent. It's for a 746320, but you can expand it with jmfs.

Sorry about the DvrBARS image of your original drive. TiVo recently changed the file system on the OS partition from Ext2 to SquashFS even though it still says Ext2 in the partition table. If it can't read the file system it doesn't copy the OS partition at all, which is why your image from an up-to-date drive that still boots doesn't work. I need to add a few lines to just copy the OS partitions byte-for-byte if it can't read it, but I've been swamped at work. My old images from 2013 still work.

3. admadan

admadan New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks! Yeah, I wondered if it had to do with the actual OS. Years ago I followed the guide on the Rosswalker website and just saw an update saying current Virgin TiVos can't be cloned due to drm changes, or something along those lines. I ran the quick WD diagnostic on the original drive and came back fine, while the long one was running (also fine) I saw that update and started wondering if something got changed on my current 20.6.3 OS to keep the drive from being backed up properly with the tools I tried. Although I couldn't find any posts to that effect. I'll try your image once I get back home.

4. admadan

admadan New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    The old OS image worked, thanks! My TiVo now boots up and shows the many many hours that I can record on the new 2TB drive.

5. May 6, 2018 #5 of 16
    Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    Hi, I need a disk image for a TCD746500 too, together with a pointer to a s/w tool to write the image from a windows laptop. It is only a 500 GB drive. I have a SATA <-> USB cable that seems to work fine. I have used it in the past to reimage a Series 3 HD tivo (Tivo TCD652160). I used Ross Walker's website to do that. I actually still have the same tools to image the series 3. (winmfs). Seemed to work fine.

This new tivo I have (TCD746500) works fine, but the opening animation sequence is hosed, and I want to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

6. May 7, 2018 #6 of 16
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Sent.

You can find DvrBARS to restore the image in the Upgrade Center forum. You will also need jmfs or MFSTools 3.2 to expand the image from 320GB to 500GB.

I don't think it will do you any good as far as the opening animation goes. TiVo removed it from the current software quite a while back, though you might see it once or twice on the initial setup before the software updates itself automatically.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    Thanks again. I have a new problem with a different tivo (when it rains, sometimes it pours). This tivo is a TCD746320, and the 320 GB disk has bad health per Crystal Disk Info, and sometimes makes awful noise. So, I bought a new WD green 1 TB disk to replace it. I want to write the image that you pointed me to (TCD746320.zip), to the new disk using a windows 10 laptop and a SATA <-> USB cable. What is the easiest way to do that? Including the expanding step? Thanks again. This is a huge help.

8. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    See the conversation.

9. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    I have a Windows 10 HP laptop, and I created a bootable USB thumbdrive, of (premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104.iso) and it will not boot. It just ignores the thumbdrive and boots from the hard disk. I followed the instructions in A Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Bolt, Tivo Premiere, Tivo Roamio, Tivo Roamio OTA, Tivo HD, Tivo Series 3 or Tivo Series 2 (Easily upgrade your Tivo Bolt, Roamio or Premiere to 300 Hours+ HD Capacity) - Also includes instructions on how to fix a broken Tivo., using: (Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.1.5). Perhaps I need to burn a CD? Not sure what the deal is. Just getting to the friggin boot menu in the bios was a hassle. A little help?

10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
  11. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    You probably can't change the boot mode, but you will definitely have to turn off Secure Boot in the BIOS.

12. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    There does not seem to be a way to disable secure boot in the bios. There is a way to enable/disable legacy boot mode. But, that only adds legacy boot, after the UEFI boot order is exhausted.

I tried burning a CD ROM with the image premiere jmfs ISO image, and during boot, it reads from the CD ROM first (which looks good), but, then it did not succeed in booting from it. It always just boots from the hard disk which has Windows 10 on it. I've spent a good 2.5 hours on this so far. No joy.

Anyone have any thoughts? Please help?

ADDENDUM: I had an old laptop with Windows 7 on it, and it has a broken disk, that would not boot to Windows 7, and I tried to boot it with the above CD ROM I created, and that laptop is able to boot Linux. So, I am out of the weeds.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    kpeters59 likes this.
  13. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    Update: I wrote the TCD746320 image to a 1TB green WD drive, and then, I used jmfs to extend and supersize the disk. I plugged it into the tivo, and went through guided setup. During the first 'Getting Setup Info', it got error S03, during Loading info at about 82%. I tried the connection again, and got the same error. So, then I tried to reconfigure the network, and that time worked. The first connection brought down a service update. So, it appears that the image does not seem to have the most recent bits in it from tivo.

14. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Yeah, that particular image is from 2012. Glad you got it working without too much fuss.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    I can update the image on dropbox if anyone wants it? (assuming that is legal for me to do? and, please let me know if that is illegal. I do not want to break copyright law).

BTW, thanks for your help!! The new disk appears to be working great. I ran some diagnostics on it overnight, and they passed, and now that the disk is in the tivo, it is working great.

16. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Catching a clean truncated image is a pain due to some changes in the file system a few years after I wrote DvrBARS. You have to run a Clear & Delete All, watch the screen for as many hours as that takes, and power switch it during the "Welcome, starting up" before any disk activity starts. In this case the image would only work on 1TB drives or larger.

I haven't tried to keep up with updates because it's a moving target and I don't have any Premieres, but thanks anyway. As long as the old images still work I'm happy.