Help, my TiVo Mini is sick

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by phughes200, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017 #1 of 75
    phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    My TiVo Mini is acting up. The image on the screen is stuck on the TiVo logo. The logo stays on for a few seconds then the screen goes blank and then the TiVo logo returns and the cycle repeats.

I have tried unplugging the mini and restarting the main Roamio TiVo with no luck.

Any ideas or is it time to replace. I think the unit is about two years old.

2. Dec 7, 2017 #2 of 75
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Doesn't sound great. Do you have multiple Minis or just the one? If you have others, you can swap Minis between locations to determine whether the power adapter, cabling or TV could be a problem.

And I have no clue if it would help, but you could try changing the resolution used by the Mini, per the troubleshooting docs:

Change the video output resolution on TiVo Mini:
    1. Press the Resolution button located on the bottom of TiVo Mini. Each time you press the button, the output resolution will change.
    2. Continue pressing the Resolution button until the TV displays a picture. Wait a few moments between each press for the new resolution to synchronize with the TV.

3. Dec 7, 2017 #3 of 75
    phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't help. It was worth the try.

4. Dec 7, 2017 #4 of 75
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You have just the one Mini?

5. Dec 7, 2017 #5 of 75
    phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Just the one so no switching out units.

Searching the posts here seem to indicate the unit is permanently stuck in a bootup loop. Some have had luck getting TiVo to replace it for a fee since it is out of warrantty. I have not called them let. The web site says they are ouyt of stock on both new and refubished units.

6. Dec 8, 2017 #6 of 75
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  7. Dec 8, 2017 #7 of 75
    phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah. But I might have spoken too hasty. Both the new and refurbished are oos. I need to check EBay. That way I have some buyers protection.

8. Dec 9, 2017 #8 of 75
    phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I called customer service. After 3/4 hour of trouble shooting, they agree the mini is dead. Then much to my surprise they offer to replace it for $40 (normailly $80) even though it is well out of warrantty. Truthfully, I am stun that they offerred. They claim they are sending a new unit but I got to believe it is a refub but I am not complaning.

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  9. BBHughes

BBHughes Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I had almost the exact same problem with one of my minis that was out of warranty. I actually had just bought a mini box to replace it since I wanted a faster unit. But, I really could use one more mini so I called about mine and at first they said 80 for the replacement and I didn’t need another one that bad, so I said no thanks and they offered me the 40 dollar replacement so I said I’ll take it. I probably wouldn’t have called if I hadn’t read your post, so thanks!

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. junknspam3

junknspam3 New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Great Lakes
    Mine is doing the same thing. It's a 93000 series...looks like I need to make a call.

11. junknspam3

junknspam3 New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Great Lakes
    Just called them and got a replacement Mini for $39.99...she sounded as though she was familiar with this problem with the stuck startup screen.

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. sjmaye

sjmaye Techie Wannabe

Aug 28, 2003
    Hendersonvil...
    Add me to the list. I turned on the TV to find a black screen with just the Tivo logo on it. Rebooted the unit. Powered down for a while. Nothing worked. So are we saying it is dead?

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    My biggest beef with the Mini is that there is no reset button to restore to factory, I think it would fix a lot of these bootlooped boxes. Glad to hear that Tivo is willing to swap them out cheaply though.

buildersboy66 and Nickipedia like this.
  14. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    One of my customers is having this problem too. TiVo Guy shows up, then after about 10 seconds the network lights go out and it's useless. She bought it at the Meltdown sale, so I guess she got the meltdown version...

krkaufman likes this.
  15. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    Factory RESET is so needed on ALL THE MINI"S!!!!!

16. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Exactly the problem I'm having right now with one of my minis . . . thanks to you and other posters for saving me some time on what to do (I did swap with another working mini and same result). Will be calling TiVo . . .

krkaufman likes this.
  17. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    And pretty much the result I got . . . not a long fuss over troubleshooting (I explained I'd powered off, disconnected all cables, reconnected, and then tried again with a different set of cables on different TV). Agent was satisfied, told me it was $79.99 but could swap out for $39.99 without even a peep from me. Said this was an occasional problem (although claim it was a hard drive issue was a bit odd - do minis have an SSD or something?).

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    What is that button on the bottom of these for if it isn't a reset button?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Video resolution reset (or maybe it cycles current resolution ... and you keep pressing it until something appears on screen).

Handy if you’ve moved a Mini between monitors and the previously set resolution isn’t compatible with the new TV.

20. Fernwood

Fernwood Member

Sep 11, 2014
    There is an option to reset to factory settings in the trouble shooting menu.