Help my Tivo Mini A93 error loading slices

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Thebreen, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Thebreen

Thebreen New Member

Nov 24, 2013

Advertisements

well after experiencing never ending boot cycling on one of my Mini's and setting it up on ethernet (instead of Moca) it finally produced a red screen with "error loading slices" call tivo support - has anyone experienced this? is there any hope for the mini being recoverable or am i SOL?

2. Thebreen

Thebreen New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Update - TiVo customer support was live on Sunday 4/5/2020! - after a brief online chat i was given TiVo support number to call. After explaining my situation the rep offered $79 TiVo mini vox replacement - I asked if it was compatible with the rf remote, she assured me it was (I have my doubts as i am still using TE3 on my Roamio Plus" i had to state that i was aware some people got the Mini for $29 after checking my account status she said she could offer a $40 credit so i said ok. new mini vox is on its way - wonder how long it will take and where it will be shipped from to get to my florida home....

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    There's a thread elsewhere here (Mini VOX, TE3, and RF Remote fails) that indicates "RF" (RF4CE, Mini V2/Roamio/Bolt non-Vox style remotes) do not pair to Mini Voxen running TE3. I can confirm Joe's findings there, I was not able to get a RF remote to pair for love or money.

4. Thebreen

Thebreen New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    thanks - probably where i got my doubts about the mini vox being able to use the RF remote.

Sad thing is a couple days after ordering the mini vox one of my bedroom minis was not connecting to the Roamio - back to telephone support and eventually got it to reconnect to Moca

- but when i asked about my mini vox order they told me to call back in a day or two - WTF! i called a few minutes ago (after logging onto TIVO site where all my old equipment is still listed as active on my account) the rep said she had to escalate the order and it would take a day to process but still would not give a ship date or tracking info (she said once it shipped i would get an e-mail) - I have not yet been charged for the mini vox (supposed to get it for $39 plus tax) but its only been 8 days since i "ordered" the replacement mini...

5. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

I had the identical thing happen to one of my minis running TE3 with that red screen at about the same time. Interesting. I'm beginning to think TiVo screwed up some update and bricked it.

I've gone through the TiVo "We'll sell you a refurb Mini" dance before, and the FOURTH unit they sent me actually worked, although I believe it's also the one that has died with red screen of death. It's likely I won't be replacing it - it's pretty old tech. If I find a 9300 inexpensively here or elsewhere...then maybe. Otherwise, I'll just have to move the one in the guest bedroom around when there are no guests.

6. Thebreen

Thebreen New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    well 4/25 now (20 days after order) and my replacement mini arrived - surprise! its not the mini vox but a A93 unit - after hooking it up and going thru setup it then came back with a message that it was not compatible with my roamio plus and needed to "downgrade" software load - had to go thru setup again but it seems to be working now - also had to pair RF remote fortunately the on screen instructions were accurate since the replacement was delivered with ZERO instructions.

Pairing RF remote required holding the tivo and back buttons down simultaneously within 3' of the mini, red light changed to slow flashing yellow light then fast flashing yellow light then went off, button presses now are green light!

7. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Yep, replacement Minis come with TE4, and need to 'downgrade' to TE3 if that's what your Roamio or other main unit uses.

What I really enjoyed on all three broken replacement Minis they sold me was the brain dead way in which they make you go through a full setup, then tell you you have to downgrade and start over, and then you discover the thing doesn't work properly.

My Roamio and the three remaining working Minis here are likely the last TiVo setup I have after more than a decade, starting with the Series 1. Too many other content choices now that are less troublesome.