Help! My DVR has Alzheimers!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MarcC, Jun 25, 2011.

1. MarcC

MarcC Lurking n00b

Jun 24, 2011
    Everyone has a naming convention, naming your devices is part of the fun of being an admin, anyway, here goes.

I use Flintstones character names. Hey, I grew up on USAFE bases in England and Germany in the mid '60s to mid '70s, that was pretty much what we got. :p

My first TiVo, a series 2 was named Fred, so when I upgraded to a series 3 HD Tivo, I had to name her Wilma, Sadly, we lost Fred to the Great Digital Signal Switchover.

I logged into my tivo account, got the new DVR added to my account and took Fred off, not really needing an analog tuner on a digital system, then named the new DVR. That seemed to work at first, Wilma was happy and my wife made a snide comment about my tendency for whimsical naming( I named her phone Pebbles). I happened to be bored and looked at the system info page the other day, and noticed that Wilma seems to have forgotten her name. System information now shows the name as the last four of my service number.

I performed the following actions:
    1. Checked the port numbers that according to the DVR (TCP 37-time, 80-HTTP, 5223-HP Virtual Machine Group Management, 7287-unassigned, 7288-unassigned, 8080-HTTP Alternate, and 8081-Sun Proxy Admin Service)

2. I ensured that these ports on the router I use (Linksys WRT54G), are open for the static IP address I gave the TiVo wireless-G USB adapter I installed rather that drill out the walls and install a drop). It didn't mention UDP, so I left it alone.

3. I've tried forcing a program update.

4. I rebooted the DVR.

5. Then the router.

6. Then went back into my TiVo account and renamed it Betty, which really annoyed my phone. :) Alas, this didn't work either.

The TiVo's diagnostics show a 94% signal, the rest of the tests for connectivity, DNS, and ports all succeed. Frankly, I'm out of ideas. The ports I can actually check the workings of (TiVo time matches my desktop, I can view Data from the TiVo online, so 37 and 80/8080 seem to work. The unassigned, HPVM, and Sun proxy ports however, are unknown quantities to me, I got the port assignments from the IANA website, and hope they are correct.

There hasn't been anything I wanted to save onto the server for a while, so I don't know when this actually happened. I know there was at least one firmware upgrade, and a channel lineup change or two since the last time I brought up the Desktop

I recently upgraded the TiVo desktop software on the server to version 2.8.2. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, as the server isn't in control of anything on my network but file and print sharing, but it is a changed condition, and if I knew everything, i'd be making a lot more than I do. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will attempt to answer any questions in a clear, concise manner.

I thank you in advance.