Help my brother fix his TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JustAllie, Apr 20, 2006.

1. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    My younger brother's TiVo has started freezing. We tried unplugging the wireless adapter, so I don't think it was caused by an incompatibility between the wireless adapter and the latest TiVo software. We also read this thread which pointed toward this being a hard drive problem, although at least one person in that thread pointed out that a bad power supply can mimic a bad hard drive problem. So we're trying to isolate the issue and then replace anything that needs replacing.

TiVo model: Series2 40-hour 24004A
    Service: Lifetime
    Connection: Phone line for contacting TiVo, D-Link wireless adapter for sharing shows with the other TiVo in the house.

Symptoms (as described by my brother):
    Is there any way to rule out the power supply so that he doesn't buy a hard drive and then find it doesn't solve the problem?

Mark is considering buying an InstantCake CD from 9thtee and a replacement hard drive. Have others had good luck with InstantCake? Does anyone know of some good deals on hard drives that would work in this model TiVo?

I guess I'm lucky in that none of my TiVos have ever had this issue. But that means I'm not much help to Mark. :eek: Hopefully some folks here can steer us in the right direction.

Thanks everyone!

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I could not find you brother’s post in that long thread so rather then read everything there.

Have you checked the fan? Errors after running a while usually are caused by overheating. Make sure the fan (located in the back) is exhausting air and the vent holes (bottom sides) are free of dust and other objects. If the TiVo is in a closed cabinet try running with the doors open. You can check the internal temp by going to "Messages and Settings" -> "Account and system information" -> "System Information".

Replacing the Hard drive is not all that difficult That should be discussed in the Underground Playground -> upgrade forum see the sticky thread WeaKnees Interactive Online TiVo Upgrade Instructions. 250 and 300G hard drives can be found for less then $100 make sure it is an PATA or EIDE drive of course if you upgrade your brothers TiVo to 300+ hrs yours might get jealous :)

As for the Power Supply you could measure the voltage at the drive connector the yellow wire is +12V the red wire = +5V the blacks are the 0V return. Use extreme caution there are exposed potently lethal voltages in there. :eek:

3. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Remove the hard drive to find the make/model then go to the manufacturers website and download the diagnostic software. Typically it will be a bootable image that can be burned to a CD-R. Then pop the drive in a PC boot from the CD and run diagnostics on the drive. Just make sure you run non-destructive testing.

4. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    My brother e-mailed me his comments -- he's not a member of the forum. I'm channeling his comments. ;)

Thanks -- I'll e-mail this stuff to him (or refer him to this thread -- maybe he'll register!) :D

5. Joeg180

Joeg180 Burning Daylight

Jun 1, 2003
    Niskayuna
    Have him register

I just had one of my sister's buy a TiVO. When I visit her this weekend she will be signing up for this forum.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    When my SAT-T60 started random reboots and freezing, the drive kicked the bucket a couple of months later.

7. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    So Mark ran diagnostics on his TiVo's hard drive, determined that it was bad, and ordered the InstantCake CD. Now it's time to shop for hard drives.

What are the essential features to look for in a hard drive that would make it compatible with his TiVo (24004A)? I figured we should be able to upgrade him to 80 or 100GB for under $50 if we look for hot deals, but I want to be sure that I'm searching for the right type of drive.

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    A hot deal should get him closer to a 300GB drive for $50
    You want any standard PATA drive. Beyond that it's a simple matter of personal preference.

9. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    OK, so the SATA drive I saw on Fry's Outpost is out. PATA it is.

I have no idea what PATA means, but that doesn't stop me from shopping. ;)

Is there any limit to the size of drive he can put into a 24004A TiVo using the InstantCake CD?

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Parallel ATA vs. Serial ATA. ATA is another term for IDE. PATA uses the long, rectangular, 40-pin connector. SATA uses a small, five pin (?) connector. Oddly, the power connector for SATA drives is larger than the data connector!

If Instant Cake is using version 7.x software, no, there should not be a limit on size.

11. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    As of right now, he's limited to 750GB as a single drive because they don't make 'em any bigger yet. But that would also be about $450 more than he wants to spend.

12. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    I just successfully upgraded my stock 540 40hr unit using the Instant Cake CD. I downloaded the iso file just the other day, and it placed TiVo software version 5.3 on my unit. I do not know why IC uses such an old image (which is annoying, since it costs $20), but the TiVo quickly updated to software 7.2 with a couple of forced connections.

Please note that if you use instant cake, you MUST do a CLEAR & DELETE EVERYTHING, after the unit first boots up after the HD install. This is very important.

13. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the input, guys! I think Mark is awaiting the arrival of the InstantCake CD to get started. I guess he ordered the physical CD instead of just downloading it. Well, he's on dial-up ( :eek: ), so I can understand that decision.

14. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Things are looking up for the bro' -- he bought an 80 gig drive, use InstantCake to prepare it, and has it running now in his TiVo. He says he's going to wait a while to declare it a success, however.

15. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    After installing the new HD on the TiVo the machine will start and appear to be operating normally. Make sure he did a clear and delete everything (this took me about an hour for everything to be reset) and then forces a couple of connections to be updated to the latest software version.