Help! My brand new TiVo HD just crashed!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Killthee, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Killthee

Killthee New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    In preparation of my FiOS TV install tomorrow I hooked up my brand new TiVo HD to my TV. I managed to activate my TiVo service, connect my THD to my network with the TiVo wifi adapter, and complete the Guided Setup. I then browsed the menus for about 10 minutes and eventually hit the Live TV button on my remote. The first tuner showed a black screen (no signal until I get FiOS TV installed tomorrow...) and the program details. I figured that was to be expected and pressed the Live TV button once more to switch to the second tuner. The THD once again displayed a black screen, but this time without any program details. Furthermore, the THD failed to recognize any of the buttons I pressed on my remote (no response/no LED blink), so at this point I figured my THD had crashed and went about doing a hard reset by pulling the power. The THD restarted and displayed the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. I then left the room and came back 10 minutes later to find the THD on the same screen. My DirecTiVo never did this, it would always go to the few minutes more screen in a couple of minutes. I once again went about doing a hard reset by pulling the power and restarting it in hopes that this would somehow fix the problem. My TiVo then booted up again and displayed the Welcome! screen and has been displaying it since I last rebooted over an hour and ten minutes ago... Is this normal behavior for the first couple of reboots on a THD? Is it installing an update that it got when connecting to the TiVo service during Guided Setup? Is my HDD at fault? If it's the HDD, can I proceed with my plans to upgrade it with a 500GB drive using WinMFS without the original drive? Is there anything I could do to fix this before my scheduled install tomorrow?

2. jerrymc

jerrymc TiVo Tinker

Sep 17, 2001
    Antioch, CA, US
    Take it back to the retailer for a replacement. It could be the disk, but it could also be something else. If you crack the case to put in the 500GB, you void the warranty. When you get the replacement, call Tivo and change your activation to the new box. Don't mess around with infant mortality cases. Take full advantage of the retailer's exchange period.

-Jerry

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Or do it online and save about an hour waiting on the phone. :)

Also, you should make sure you get the latest software before the installer comes (force a few connections).

4. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    I had one of my two TivoHD units suffer from infant mortaility too - just flip it at the store assuming you're still in the 30 day return window.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    How long did you leave it unplugged? Sometimes leaving it unplugged for a longer period of time (15-30 minutes) helps.

6. Killthee

Killthee New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    About 10 minutes. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I rescheduled my FiOS TV install and am sending back the unit to Amazon. New one gets here tomorrow :D