Help! MFSTools not recognizing Tivo A Drive!

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by damorrison, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. damorrison

    damorrison New Member

    6
    0
    Sep 10, 2006

    Advertisements

    Hi,

    I am in the middle of the Hinsdale upgrade procedure (actually near the end) using MFStools 2. I am using the bootable CD. It is a Tivo Series 1.

    I have been able to make a backup of the Tivo A drive and restore it to my new larger A drive. I have also tested my new A drive in the Tivo (and it worked). The next step was to copy all the content (recordings, etc.) over to the "new" A drive. However, when I put the new drive back into my PC and boot to the CD, linux will not find my original Tivo A drive (it does find my new larger drive and the cd-rom).

    More Info: The Tivo drive is identified by my PC Bios and does work if I put it back in the Tivo unit. Linux is just not recognizing it (it originally saw it as my "hdc").

    Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to get the linux system to recognize the original Tivo A drive?

    Thanks for any help!!

    Don Morrison
     
  2. HomeUser

    HomeUser Active Member

    2,453
    16
    Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Check your drives jumper, cable and power connection MFSTools should see the drive(s).

    Review the boot messages using the shift+pageup keys

    another way is with dmesg | grep ide

    From the Linux command prompt you can see what Linux thinks the drives are with cat /proc/partitions
     
  3. damorrison

    damorrison New Member

    6
    0
    Sep 10, 2006
    Well - I don't know if this will help anyone or not. It certainly confuses me. This is probably an issue with my PC...maybe.

    I swapped the position of the existing Tivo A Drive and the larger (new) Tivo A drive in my computer (existing as Primary Master and new as Secondary Master) and everything worked. For whatever reason - the MFStools boot would not recognize the existing A drive in the secondary master no matter what I did.

    I used the command to copy all the content and everything worked. 127 hour capacity.

    Don

    did the "full" copy with content, etc.
     

Share This Page

spam firewall

Advertisements