Help me upgrade

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Chris Hansen, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    In 1998 I bought a DirecTV reciever.

In 2002 I bought a Phillips DirecTivo DSR6000 reciever with the lifetime subscription. I used that first DirecTV box on a 2nd tv without tivo obviously.

In 2006, my original DirecTV reciever died and I replaced it with a DirecTivo Series2 R10 (if I said that right). Now, I have two DirecTivo boxes on two different tv's. Again, I have the lifetime subscription.

QUESTION

The 2002 box is about to die. I need to replace it. My next tv will be HD so I might as well get my new Tivo to be HD.

A) Wat is going to happen to my lifetime subscription?
    B) Is it time to separate my DirecTV and Tivo rather then having them in the same box?
    C) What Tivo box should I buy that is compatible with DirecTV?
    D) I have a 4 LNB Oval Dish. Will that need to be changed to run one HD Tivo and one regular Tivo?
    E) How much will my bill go up?

Chris

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    A) Lifetime DVR is attached to your account and not your Tivo. As long as you have an active D* account and a DVR, you are good.
    B) Not if you want HD. None of the HD Tivos are compatible with either of the satellite services. Standard definition Tivos are compatible but the dual tuner model only works as a single tuner.
    C) See B.
    D) 4 LNB? There's a 3 LNB model called the Phase III. There's also the 5 LNB models called the AT-9 and something else.
    E) You can go to the D* site and figure that up.

-Robert

3. Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I must have described my dish wrong in #4.

Maybe it is not oval but eliptical???? The dish has 4 LNB's that then enter an attached 4x4 multiswitch. The dish says "TERK" on it. I see the NASA channel if that helps.

Can you tell I know nothing and that is why I need help!

Chris

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You have a PIII dish likely. It will have a 3-in-1 LNBF assembly with 4 outputs.
    AFAIK, a PII dish will have separate LNBFs, a 110/119 combiner, and a 4 input multiswitch.

NASA channel has been on 101 for quite some time.

To get the latest in HD, you will have to give up TiVo, to record it in HD, for to record HD, it has to directly tune the providers signal, and there are no TiVos compatible with the new MPEG4/Ka HD channels.

You will get a 5-LNB dish, and an H20 receiver, or HR20 DVR (or newer versions of them). See the dbstalk board for more on DirecTVs current HD hardware offerings.

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    A. The Lifetime is tied to the Account not a unit, so your Lifetime is not affected.

B. It all depends. If you go HD, you need to seperate them, as there are no Directv/Tivo units that will get the MPeg4 HD Channels. You would need to go the HR20 Route.

C. Any Series 1 or 2 Tivo unit will work with Directv. But its only worth doing if you are willing to pay Tivo Fees, which are more expensive than Directv Fees. Also, for HD forget it.

D. You cannot run a Tivo HD Unit. They are Cable only. If you go with HD from Directv, you will get the 5LNB Upgrade.

E. It depends on what package you have now. Check out Directv;s site.

6. Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    A) Am I crazy or have I found 1000 posts on this forum that the lifetime subscription is tied to the box and not the account? I thought I even read that they were giving a one-time transfer to a new box due to confusion? Now, two people have given me the great news that the lifetime subscription stays good for my entire lifetime (as long as I stay a current subscriber to both DirecTV and Tivo).

B) Bottom line: you are telling me that there is no HD DirecTIVO and there is no plan for one?

7. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    A. Stand alone Tivos have lifetime tied to the box. Technically, these are DirecTV DVRs powered by Tivo software. Not a true Tivo.
    B. There is the HR10-250 but it is no longer in production and will not pick up the new MPEG4 channels. See the section of the forum below this one for more info.

-Robert

8. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    A)
    Lifetime:
    DTiVo = Tied to your account.
    SA TiVo = Tied to box.

B) Correct, sort of, BUT that "may" change in time due to improved relations between DTV and TiVo.
    There currently is an HD DTiVo but it will not handle mp4 so none of the new HD channels will work with it and the others "may" cease to work in the future.

Also you do not need a TiVo subscription for DTiVos.

edit: Beaten by a faster typist.

9. Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Are you guys saying that what I thought was a lifetime subscription to Tivo was actually a lifetime subscription to any DVR that I have with DirecTV?

10. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Yes. It happened a few years ago. I think D* sent out a letter. But we covered it here for months. And the question pops up all the time because searching for "lifetime" yields too many results. But your answers are in there.

-Robert

11. Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    This is the "Tivo Community" forum. Can I assume that nobody here is saying to dump Tivo for the DirecTV with the HR20?

If that is the case, what should I do? I have to keep DirecTV because that is where my lifetime subscription is. It sounds like I should drop my intentions of HD. Just buy another DirecTivo R10 Series2 and dump my ailing DSR6000?

12. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    There's been some discussion along with comparisons in the HD DirecTivo section (below this on). If you want HR20 info, DBS Talk is the place for it.

What is ailing? Hard drive? Replace it and upgrade at the same time. Get an HR10 as well. When the new channels come online, I'll use my GXCEBOT for SD programs, HR10-250 for OTA digital (HD) and the HR20 for HD from satellite. It will be nice to be able to record 6 shows at the same time.

-Robert

13. sophster

sophster New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    We bought our Phillips DirectTV/Tivo DSR6000 the first year it came out. It only has capacity for 30 hours. We bought an upgrad drive from Weaknees. I want to install it in addition to my current drive, instead of replacing it and losing my season passes and such. Is there a way to do this? Is there more than one slot in the drive to put another drive in there? Or some kind of external mounting bracket to attach to the Phillips? Also, is there anyway to upgrade the software so that we have the advanced functionality or we have to buy a new TiVo box for that (not DTV/TiVo combined). Can anyone help? We love our TiVo and don't want to part with it. Any ideas!?

Sophia

14. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Although what you propose is possible, I'd highly recommend against it.

1) The power supply was never designed to support 2 hard drives.
    2) Double the drive noise.
    3) More heat inside the case which will lead to premature failure.
    4) When you install a second hard drive, it is 'married' to the main drive, and if either drive fails, the other one is toast unless you reimage the remaining drive.
    5) When one drive fails, you won't know which one has gone bad.