Help Me Help My Parents Set-up Their Tivo in Connecticut

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fastandbad, Jan 19, 2006.

1. fastandbad

fastandbad New Member

Feb 20, 2002

Advertisements

Hi. Long ago I set up my parents in Connecticut with a Tivo, which they more than me, I think. Unfortunately, without consulting me ("Oh. we hated to bother you!"), my parents decided to change their A/V set-up. Argh!

They used to have a Comcast box for HBO, etc. They are getting rid of those stations, so they no longer need a box. So they removed the box. Unfortunately, that's where the trouble began... :)

They have tried (with a hired "professional"! For $75!) to hook up the new system. So they ran the cable from the wall to the Tivo cable in, and have S Video/RCA audio jacks to their big screen TV. Unfortunately, while the Tivo works, it gives them an error message saying it can no longer pick up the cable signal. I am thinking (without having their set-up manual, because I use a DirecTivo set-up) they they probably have to go all the way back to Guided Setup and direct Tivo to how it is being installed and picking up the signal. Perhaps they also have to switch from Channel 3 to Channel 4? Are these correct assumptions?

Unfortunately, I now live 12 hours away in Detroit, and my parents are older, and a little (make that a lot) nervous around technology. If anyone has some advice, or knows of a A/V tech familiar with Tivo who will not rip off my poor parents, I would appreciate your help. Otherwise, it's a $250 plane ticket for me... Thanks!

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Yep, have them re-run guided set up. They will be fine then.

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Are there no kids in the 10-15 year range nearby? You can usually hire one of them to handle something like this for around $10 and get better service then your parents got from this "professional".

At this point, guided setup and changing it from "cable with cable box" to "cable without a cable box" should take care of it.