Help me decide what to do re: replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MaryT, Oct 7, 2007.

1. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    Well, add me to the list of people who have had their tivos stop working after an upgrade :(. Mine now won't update. I should have known this would happen - the hard drive started clicking very sporadically a little over a year ago. It worked just fine though. Oh well.

Here is our current situation.

1 DT tivo - purchase last year for $19.95 1 yr commitment, monthly afterward at $16.95
    1 Sony SVR 3000 series 2 - $6.95 no commitment [this is the broken Tivo]

FINALLY got them networked (wired) 2 weeks ago. MRV was nice as was tivo to go. Split using a nework hub between the 2 boxes.

Cable - Family + cable - NO BOX. Very happy without it. We'd like a few of the stations that are now digital only, but aren't willing to pay the $5 per month + losing the freedom of the DTs at this point in time.

Future plans - we will upgrade to HDTV and purchase at least 1 new Tivo. We are waiting since we want to redo everything when it's time and don't want to buy and HD Tivo now since we expect the technology to change and/or get less expensive. We expect this will be about a year away or when the cable company moves too many channels to digital only.

What should we do re: the broken Tivo?

-We can get a brand new one from Tivo.com for $99 and a 1 year commmitment. Seems like a decent deal, and I would expect the current DT to go to $6.95 per month. Am I correct?

-We can purchase a new hard drive from weaknees for $149 and continue on our merry way until we're ready to redo everything. We do not need more tuners nor do we need more recording time. Between the 2 machines we have 260 hours of recording time and not enough time watch it :)

I'm thinking a brand new Tivo might be the way to go and want to make sure I"m not missing anything.

I don't want our monthly costs to go up even more and would like to remain as flexible as possible.

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I'd replace the hard drive in the DT.

3. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    Except the DT is the one that is working perfectly fine. I guess I wasn't clear :)
    Thank you anyway ;)

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    OK, I don't know what I was thinking, but I'd still replace the drive in the DT for more space.

A Sony S2, IMO, is too old to be putting any good money into. I'd replace it with a Tivo HD. That way you have an HD Tivo in a year or two when you go HD and soon after that you'll need to free yourself from the analog S2 DT and get another HD Tivo of some sort. If you wait to get the HD Tivo, you'll want two of them but you won't want to have to pay good money for 2 at the same time. My way you get one now and one later and your wallet doesn't feel the pain so much.

6. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    Humm... that is a major savings. I will look into it further. Thank you!

7. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    Some guys just can't get enough :) We don't have time to watch what we have now :).

I'll give this some thought. We're generally OK with just 1 Tivo and we only kept the other running because we upgraded to the DT.

Thanks!